Relocating and changing a radiator bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator in the photo is in the hallway. You can just about see the front in the corner of photo and the pipes coming down between.

I'm thinking of replacing the radiator with one of those tall ones but installing it on the other side of the pipes and put a console table under the window.

By putting the new radiator next to the front door, will it make a major difference with the heating efficiency?

I know heat rises and with the new position being further away from the stairs I'm assuming there will be some loss but don't know how much of a difference.

It will look much nicer though!

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
That looks like a reasonably large double rad. Finding a designer rad of the same output and fitting it where you propose may pose a bit of a problem. Have you done your calcs and found a suitable rad?

If you are only bothered with looks, then I say go for it, but you will probably be a bit cooler in the hallway.

Make sure you get a column rad that is as close to the KW rating as the current rad you have

Thanks for your replies.

I haven't begun sourcing or calculating a new rad yet.

I must say, the current rad never seems to warm up the hallway anyway in terms of the rad not getting hot enough - We moved in recently so still trying to get to grips with balancing the whole house. I get a mishmash of hot and cold rooms despite eliminating any trapped air and playing about with thermostats.

Nevertheless, I am now wondering if putting a radiator to left of the stairs would be better? I should be able to run some pipes along the skirting.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Generally they are located by the window to counteract the cold, so it's up to you where you put it, but if that double rad isn't feeling very warm, i suggest that you need to look at the system set up rather than moving the rad first.

I wouldn't put the rad there. Heat will be lost heating the underside of your stairs.

Between the door and window would be better than near the stairs. I got a high output designer radiator for my bathroom from www.geyser.co.uk but they are expensive! Looks good though and had a matching towel rail bar which clamps on (it was replacing a chrome towel rail which didn't give off enough heat).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back