Relocating Doors - Width Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - new member here - be nice to me :D

I'm looking at re-organising some rooms and the entrance to my bungalow. I will be blocking up the existing main entrance and relocating to another elevation creating a new hallway in the process. I will also be moving some internal doors and creating new rooms with new internal doors.
I just wondered what the new regs were on door widths - both the main entrance and new doors in a refurbishment?

I will in due course be contacting my BCO - but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks!

M.

Sponsored Links
The only regulation for alterations to existing buildings is that you are not allowed to make things worse. So, keep the existing door widths, or greater, and you will be ok.

If your question is because you want to voluntarily upgrade your house to the best current standard then the entrance door should have a minimum 775mm clear opening and internal doors should generally have minimum 750mm clear openings but if the approach to the door is on an angle or narrow then the opening is increased in stages to 775mm or 800mm depending on the situation. (800mm covers all)

i think also if you have direct exit to a room now to say the hallway
you cant alter the escape route by blocking the direct door and make your escape through another room but you need to check ;) ;)

Hi

Thanks for the replies :)

So - even if I relocate and create new internal door openings - because it is an existing building I can match the existing door widths without contravening the regs? They are all 30" by the way.

The new rooms would all exit into the existing but part relocated hall and thus to the main entrance.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. As long as you do not make any situation - including fire escape - worse than the existing you are ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back