Relocating Immersion heater supply point...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be moving my airing cupboard to make the bathroom bigger and that means moving the power supply and switch for the immersion heater.

From the looks of it the cable will not need extending at all just re routing to the new location. Is this notifyable under part p?

Does the fact that the door to the airing cupboard will be off of the bathroom rather than off of the hall way affect the notifyableness off the job at all? I take it having this arrangement doesn't contravene any regs?

Sponsored Links
It's not notifiable, and as long as the cupboard has a door, and the immersion is not connected via a plug and socket then it does not contravene any regulations.

Add to that list that the IH circuit should not supply any other equipment.

Thanks guys!

Its not supplying anything else :)

Presumably its perfectly ok to have a FCU in the cupboard connected off the upstairs socket ring?

Where does part p stand if the pump / controller for my shower (aqualisa quartz) is located in the airing cupboard with an LV connection to the switch located in the bathroom. Would that then become notifiable due to the switch?

If I were to then replace it for a version that doesn't need the switch in the bathroom does it then become non notifiable?

Or does the fact that I would add earth bonding mean what ever I do I have to have it done by someone else? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You can do your own supplementary bonding and main earthing without notifying.

securespark said:
Add to that list that the IH circuit should not supply any other equipment.
securespark - can I ask a naive question? Is it "should not" because it's considered bad practise, or because there's a regulation that prohibits taking a spur from the IH radial?

Appendix 8 of the On-Site Guide advises that water heaters fitted to storage vessels in excess of 15 litres capacity are to be supplied by their own separate circuit.

That's from memory...Have not got regs with me so cannot confirm whether that is in regs too or just guidance in OSG....

I've had a good look through the regs, and can't find any actual regulation relating to dedicated circuits for immersion heaters, but it is of course good practice, and convention to supply a dedicated circuit.

When the OSG is quoting a regulation it references the regulation number on the right hand side of the page in small blue letters. No sign of this in appendix 8

securespark said:
Hasn't it got its own circuit? :eek:

The quartz shower thingy only takes a couple of amps to power the pump, well according to their instructions anyhow :) Have I got the wrong end of the stick and that should have its own supply?

RF Lighting said:
I've had a good look through the regs, and can't find any actual regulation relating to dedicated circuits for immersion heaters, but it is of course good practice, and convention to supply a dedicated circuit.

When the OSG is quoting a regulation it references the regulation number on the right hand side of the page in small blue letters. No sign of this in appendix 8

Appendix 8 of the OSG is for standard circuit arrangements, it does not preclude other arrangements providing they are suitably designed and implemented.
On the dedicated circuit for an immersion heater, I think the reasoning behind this in the OSG is that it might not be a brilliant idea feeding one from a final ring or socket circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back