Relocating thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm wanting to move my thermostat. Took the cover off and I see it's just a normal wiring setup (pic attached), so presumably doesn't need anything particularly complex? As a side question, the unit itself seems to have batteries in it too - is this just a backup in case the leccy is down?

I'm wanting to move it to the opposite wall. There's a light switch there currently.

Would it be a case of cutting a hole in the dry wall, then running more wiring from the wiring of the light switch underneath it (through block connector type things?), then just blanking off the wires in the old location?

Am I over simplifying? For clarity I've only ever done light fixtures and fittings, replaced a couple of sockets and plugs etc.

Should I get a spark in to do it so I don't burn my house down or kill myself? Just doesn't look complicated so thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

• 20170730_170438.jpg
    20170730_170438.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 290
Sponsored Links
The existing wires for the thermostat need to be moved or extended to reach the new location.
The light switch is unrelated.

the unit itself seems to have batteries in it too - is this just a backup in case the leccy is down?
More likely some unthinking person purchased a battery operated piece and has fitted it where a mains powered one was previously.
Thermostats do not generally have a battery backup - without mains power the boiler and other devices won't work anyway.

The existing wires for the thermostat need to be moved or extended to reach the new location.
The light switch is unrelated.

More likely some unthinking person purchased a battery operated piece and has fitted it where a mains powered one was previously.
Thermostats do not generally have a battery backup - without mains power the boiler and other devices won't work anyway.

Thanks buddy - good point on the mains.

So surely I can just remove the therm, blank off the mains wiring behind it and cover the hole, then screw the therm to the wall where i do want it...?

Ta
Matt

no you can't . some thermostats ,as well as having mains voltage ,have battery's to power the electronics within the stat. so the cables would have to be moved or extended to the new stat position .

Sponsored Links
Is it a programmable stat?

Nope! Attached tho

I could drop it a few inches and achieve what I need to anyway - would I just use connecting blocks and extend the wiring?

Ta
Matt

Attachments

• 15014392664272104803529.jpg
    15014392664272104803529.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 273
you may have enough free play on the cable to allow a few inches of movement ,but why move it such a small amount ???

So surely I can just remove the therm, blank off the mains wiring behind it and cover the hole, then screw the therm to the wall where i do want it...?
The thermostat is battery powered, but uses the wiring to control the heating system.
Without the wires, it will do nothing and your heating will not work.

Although you could fit a wire less thermostat base to the original position so allowing you to locate the thermostat else where, I found to my cost it really does matter where the thermostat is positioned.

I had problems in my mothers house, an early attempt to cure the problem was to use the Horstmann HSFS1 programmable thermostat which can be used free standing anywhere in the room, before it failed I tried it in many positions, and found where I thought was ideal, out of draft, away from radiator, out of direct sun light, did not work, the hysteresis was really high around 4°C, if you read the info with thermostat it states should be on facing wall to radiator so air will circulate to it, which in mothers case would not have worked due to open flue fire on that wall causing a draft.

I actually found really close to radiator worked better, and just compensate for heat from radiator. When one thinks about it this is what the TRV on radiator does.

Although you have a neutral the thermostat you show is a two wire type and does not need the neutral it runs on battery. However since you have a neutral you could fit a wireless thermostat like I used, but the Horstmann HSFS1 programmable thermostat slowly lost range and when it falls it just continues to either heat or stay off, so when it went wrong found mothers house at 27°C so would not recommend that one.

The room temperatures are now controlled by TRVs and the thermostat just turns off boiler when summer arrives, in mothers house, but in my house still use a hard wired thermostat programmable which needs batteries to work, the hysteresis is not very good, but there are three radiators heating same room, so TRV's would not work.

So you have two things to consider, one moving the cables, and two will it actually work without a high hysteresis in the new position?

you may have enough free play on the cable to allow a few inches of movement ,but why move it such a small amount ???

Good question Terry!

It's on the wall in the hallway by the front door. We've bought a fairly long mirror to be fitted landscape to that wall, and the therm is in the way. It just needs to drop 6 inches or so and it'll be perfect!

@ericmark taken on board thank you! I'll go with just dropping it a few inches; seems like the best and simplest solution overall.

thanks again everyone; much appreciated
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back