Remedial work on teak kitchen worktop - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a gorgeous, thick, solid teak, kitchen worktop. When we bought the house 5 years ago, it was a wonderful rich, very shiny almost glassy finish. HOwever, after absolutely NO maintenance on it whatsoever, it is looking pretty awful. Well, some parts of it are perfect (the very low usage areas) and some parts are completely worn back to the bare wood (under the draining board/round the sink etc) so it looks rather patchy. I've got the oil (Danish and Liberon finishing oil) and the 0000 steel wool for the final polishing bit, but my question is - should I sand the whole thing back to bare wood to keep it all at the same stage. If I need to do this, can I use an electric sander (B&D mouse)? And what sort of sandpaper should I use?
Or can I just bring the bare patches up to the same level as the good bits? Will it ever look any good?
Any ideas/advice very much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Emma,

Definitely take it back to the bare wood if you have an uneven finish at the moment. I see no reason why you couldn't use an electric sander. It's probably best to start by using something quite coarse such as P60 then work your way up the grades before finishing with P240 . 3-4 Coats of Liberon Finishing Oil or Smith & Rodger Worktop Finish will give you a cracking looking finish.

Hope this helps

Ian McAslan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back