1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Remeha Avanta boiler losing pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by ross37, 20 Oct 2019.

1. ross37

ross37

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am a homeowner and have a Remeha Avanta boiler plus which loose pressure on a very cold / freezing night. It does not always go to zero but low enough to stop the boiler starting until additional water is added to raise the pressure.

I experience this problem last winter and focused on leaks around the house and followed directions from the engineer. The boiler has worked successfully since last winter, the pressure was ok yesterday, but on our first cold night the pressure has dropped.

When looking at the boiler to top up the pressure there was drips of water around the flow pipe” nipple “from the boiler

Any direction would be appreciated to determine a boiler issue or a potential leak on the pipes which is not obvious

2. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any signs of water dripping from the PRV pipework ?( copper pipe outside the premises usually)

3. ross37

ross37

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    Thanks for reading the post
    There is nothing ovious the pipe appear ( copper pipe venting through the outside wall)dry however the condensate drain looks wet as if the water may have passed down there

Last edited: 20 Oct 2019
  4. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The leak that you mentioned could be your problem ,or part of it.
    The cold night / outside temp ,will not cause a pressure drop on a sealed system. When was the boiler last serviced and the EV,s pressure checked in particular ?

5. ross37

ross37

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is serviced annually but missed this year (August) as the engineer was sure that the problem was in the pipework but l had my doubts as tracked this problem all last winter
    Can you expand on EV's pressure as l don't know of that term. If this means the expansion vessel it was was replaced approx 2/3 years ago under warranty. I think it was was checked last year

Last edited: 20 Oct 2019
  6. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    EV = Expansion Vessel. When boiler is working ,central heating in use ,the water in your system expands when its heated. The higher the water temperature ,the greater the expansion.
    As your system is sealed and pressurised to around 1 bar when cold ,the pressure increases in the system when water expands. The EV accommodates this expansion ,its basically a metal vessel with a membrane internally splitting it into two halves. One half open to systems water ,other half pressurised with air . Its that pressure that should be checked / recharged if need be.

7. ross37

ross37

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks for the explanation. I have looked at my paperwork and it was replaced around March 16 under warranty. I will have the pressue checked just don't want the issues of last winter