Remember when -

When I sail, I rarely use the boats GPS, as it’s much more convenient to use the app on my phone. It knows the weather, tidal flow and my draw and generally plots the same course I would without the thinking.

Obviously it’s important to be able to navigate the old way, but this is very much the backup now.

Sponsored Links
There was a guy just on the radio who had a cab firm. Said he couldn’t get people to or from the airport and had customers stranded all over town.

I don’t believe him.

I used to sell second hand mobile phones years ago and was issued with a Cellnet (O2) 'gold' number in 1985 which I still have today.

Sponsored Links
When I sail, I rarely use the boats GPS, as it’s much more convenient to use the app on my phone. It knows the weather, tidal flow and my draw and generally plots the same course I would without the thinking.

Obviously it’s important to be able to navigate the old way, but this is very much the backup now.
Cant beat a bit of dead reckoning,sextant and lighthouse spotting.

wp47b33a85_05_06.jpg

Anyone? If you are struggling its (left: ball + ball, centre: ball + diamond + ball, right : diamond, diamond)

I can remember when most didn't have phones.

We had to walk down to the phone box to call the few who did and police, fire, ambulance, businesses, taxis etc.
And when travelling, a reverse charge call from the other side of the world to a UK phone box at a set time each month saved a fortune ;)

Sponsored Links
Back