Poor suffering students?

The last four to graduate in our extended family.

Nursing degree then straight into nursing, including three tours in Afghanistan.

Teaching degree then straight into teaching.

Engineering degree then straight into building motorways, now works with railways.

International Business degree then straight into management training with a FTSE 100 retailer.

None had a gap year and all had jobs in their holidays. All apart from the engineer worked extremely hard all the time; he seemed to cram mainly.

Sponsored Links
zero tuition fees.
Bloody young people nowadays. Who would have thunk.

Selfish gammons don't care. (n)
There is a labour government for you , making you pay for an education

Imagine the days, when the likes of Mottie had the single market, cheap houses and zero tuition fees.
Bloody young people nowadays. Who would have thunk.

Selfish gammons don't care. (n)
Different times. Not one single person I went to school with or any of my friends went to university and I believe it was free in those days, wasn’t it? A fair few of them have done quite well for themselves, one way or another. All of us started work when we left school at 16, not 26!

Different times. Not one single person I went to school with or any of my friends went to university and I believe it was free in those days, wasn’t it? A fair few of them have done quite well for themselves, one way or another. All of us started work when we left school at 16, not 26!
Both my lads worked at Maccies at 16 to earn their pocket money and my student son still puts in some crazy hours shifts, in between lectures. Must have been great getting everything free or cheap, when you were a lad. (y)

Bloody youngsters.

Sponsored Links
Some of this university caper should be entirely free

Depending on what they are doing

Medical
Some engineering
Ect ect

Those taking music , acting , media studies and other such capers should it not be free

Whoda thunk they were propping up nightclubs? No wonder they leave with a useless degree and a lifetime of debt. First lesson these academics should have is money management.

The industry needs to accept its part of the blame.
Price of Alcohol.
Entrance fee
Allowing drug taking & dealing
Not clamping down on trouble clubbers

A cut ✂️ in VAT would end up costing the wider public and some clubs would just put their Alcohol up 10%.

Give better value and a safer better experience then you might just save the industry.

Some of this university caper should be entirely free

Depending on what they are doing

Medical
Some engineering
Ect ect

Those taking music , acting , media studies and other such capers should it not be free

So those training to be doctors , surgeons & nurses who then choose to ply their trade abroad should get it free?

We need to fund degrees for professions we need, eg. doctors, dentists, vets, engineers, teachers - and let those doing Mickey Mouse courses pay their own way. Not rocket science.

How do you police these important professions that train here for over countries to benefit from?

How do you police these important professions that train here for over countries to benefit from?

Foreigners pay. Get refund if then work in vital professions in this country after graduating. Train our own people first. Trouble is, universities are now big business. More about enriching themselves by drawing in vast numbers of foreign students rather than educating the people we need.

Foreigners pay. Get refund if then work in vital professions in this country after graduating. Train our own people first. Trouble is, universities are now big business. More about enriching themselves by drawing in vast numbers of foreign students rather than educating the people we need.

We seem to get under qualified medical staff from other countries and the ones we train leave. It's not rocket science. Those who leve pay the ones that stay don't.

So those training to be doctors , surgeons & nurses who then choose to ply their trade abroad should get it free?
It works both ways - some on here are screaming out to take foreign students that have been trained in foreign countries to come here, depriving those countries of medical staff.

It works both ways - some on here are screaming out to take foreign students that have been trained in foreign countries to come here, depriving those countries of medical staff.

Our main concern is we want good doctors & nurses not any old turbulence.

What sort of school was it? I went to a "bog standard comprehensive" probably at a similar time and many fellow scholars went to university, granted none of my then friends did, but some did in later life

What sort of school was it? I went to a "bog standard comprehensive" probably at a similar time and many fellow scholars went to university, granted none of my then friends did, but some did in later life
A proper one. South West Ham Technical college. Uniform compulsory and all boys. I had to pass the 11+ to go there for those that remember it.

Last edited:
A proper one. South West Ham Technical college. All boys. I had to pass the 11+ to go there for those that remember it. I was about the only one in my junior school that passed it.
And not one person went to university

Sponsored Links
Back