The French and Chinese are coming to the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But that’s good news, isn’t it? I wondered why they didn’t set up their new HQ in Utopia, sorry, Europe - I thought foreign firms were leaving these shores like rats leaving a sinking ship? I suppose a disappointed remainer will be along soon to put a negative spin on it……

Linky

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not much meat on the bone you just threw in there...care to elaborate?

Not much meat on the bone you just threw in there...care to elaborate?
Renault in partnership with Chinese Basing there new car engine development hq in uk

You mean this @BBCnews -
A new global company being launched by French motor giant Renault and Chinese carmaker Geely is set to have its headquarters in the UK.

The firms will invest up to €7bn ($7.7bn; £6bn) to develop low-emission petrol, diesel and hybrid engines.
It will employ about 19,000 workers at its 17 engine factories, as well as five research and development hubs.

I don't see how leaving the EU and welcoming a French carmaker to build in this country is something to get excited about. They've been doing it since the 80s.

It doesn't mean leaving the Customs Union with the EU wasn't a mistake. Why aren't British firms doing this?

Sponsored Links
You mean this @BBCnews -
A new global company being launched by French motor giant Renault and Chinese carmaker Geely is set to have its headquarters in the UK.

The firms will invest up to €7bn ($7.7bn; £6bn) to develop low-emission petrol, diesel and hybrid engines.
It will employ about 19,000 workers at its 17 engine factories, as well as five research and development hubs.

I don't see how leaving the EU and welcoming a French carmaker to build in this country is something to get excited about. They've been doing it since the 80s.

It doesn't mean leaving the Customs Union with the EU wasn't a mistake. Why aren't British firms doing this?
But it is good news isn't it?

But it is good news isn't it?
It is, just as Nissan saved the good folk of Sunderland from having nothing to do all week.
But foreign investment has been the only way to keep any kind of car industry going in the UK for decades and don't really see it as a consequence of Bre*it.
There's no point claiming the good things that happen and denouncing the bad as a result of that referendum. Business is business. The EU didn't legislate against investment in industry, did it?

There's no point claiming the good things that happen and denouncing the bad as a result of that referendum. Business is business. The EU didn't legislate against investment in industry, did it?
I wasn’t claiming that the move was because of Brexit yet when any company moves away from so-called 'broken third country washed up Britain', the remainers on here claim it it’s solely because of Brexit. My point was, if that’s true, why in these post Brexit times are companies still choosing to set up here instead of the wunderbar EU?

Business is business.
Have the freeports been set up yet?
There must be some sort of incentive for the Chinese (and the Arabs) to get involved in any project.
Elon Musk is on his way over here with a plan to set up free charging points for Tesla owners.
How big a tax break will he get for his scheme?

It is, just as Nissan saved the good folk of Sunderland from having nothing to do all week.
But foreign investment has been the only way to keep any kind of car industry going in the UK for decades and don't really see it as a consequence of Bre*it.

I agree but it does prove that the UK can thrive and is investable with or without Brexit

I suppose this is the "British jobs for British workers" that the government promised, just not in much needed British companies.

My point was, if that’s true, why in these post Brexit times are companies still choosing to set up here instead of the wunderbar EU?
Most are choosing the EU...

But some are attracted by the ever expanding UK 'corporate welfare fund' ;)

I seem to recall many on here complaining about Ireland dropping it's corporation tax to attract global companies...

Would any brexiteer care to tell us what the differences are between the UK approach and that of Ireland?

We have a market of 70m +. 20m+ vehicles, etc etc.

You’re welcome.

We have a market of 70m +. 20m+ vehicles, etc etc.

You’re welcome.
The Corporates refer to the UK as 'Treasure Island'...

A country where taxpayers money will fill their coffers with very few questions asked!

On the face of it, this looks like great news. But, is there a catch, I wonder. Are any engines actually going to be made here, or is it just an accounting fiction.

Also, I'm interested in the technology side of things. How much more efficient can ICE get?

Sponsored Links
Back