Hardworking educated students want to work?

Sponsored Links
But that’s not what the article says:

“Most of the 2.7 million "inactive" people under 25 are students, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The majority of them don't want a job”

The sentence structure indicates the ONS relates to the first sentence not the latter.

Maybe these 'non working' students have learnt by example?

Namely from those who claim to be 'educators' whilst boasting about getting money for work they weren't going to do anyway?

And those also boasting about taking holidays at the taxpayers expense?

No wonder the country is in such a mess!

We are paying 5 million people, week in, week out, not to work.

Sponsored Links

The article shows 1.7 million claiming incapacity (half the number of the early 1990s) and 3.3 million claiming universal credit. I don't know how universal credit claimants are officially categorised. Before universal credit they used to split JSA/income support claims into unemployed, single parents, and those caring for a disabled person. Apparently there are 1.5 million claiming now as "unemployed" so that would leave 1.8m claiming for those other reasons. This sounds about right historically for the number of single parents and carers claiming income related benefits.

Maybe these 'non working' students have learnt by example?

Namely from those who claim to be 'educators' whilst boasting about getting money for work they weren't going to do anyway?

And those also boasting about taking holidays at the taxpayers expense?

No wonder the country is in such a mess!
All these snippy posts about my employment from someone who won’t even admit to having a job. Must be on the dole or have a VERY embarrassing job.

Oy, mature student rep. I’ll have some more news for you coming up soon that will really cheer you up. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

The spectator is not proof of anything, it’s basically the media arm of 10 Downing Street.

Dominic Cummings wife works there
James Forsyth, Allegra Stratton husband works there (Sunak was his best man)
Boris Johnson was once editor there
Harry Cole was once editor there (Harry was an ex partner of Carrie Symonds)
Charles Moore, writer for spectator is a Tory peer
Fraser Nelson editor or spectator has been hired by Sunak for role at 10 Downing st.

general comments
students must be in full time education to get a education grant
they cannot be unemployed as 16 or 17 year old they are there parents responsibility
if they chose not to work they get no state help as minors
18+ get no state help unless they are in full time education or fully active full time looking for work no help otherwise
the only exception to the above is a separate family unit where a child makes a 16 plus person a family unit
now with a system that wont help the young and forces up to 21-year-olds to stay with there parents its a shame the only way to get separation is a pregnancy and a child ??

Long story short, these questions, went to 2 kids whose parents said they would like some help with the maths in their STEM A levels. These are friends of neighbours, in years which would have been lower and upper 6th in my day, (yr 12 & 13). I've never met them so, curious, I emailed to see what would happen:

1) If I buy something from the USA and the import tax rate is 20%, and I pay a total of £150, how much import tax have I paid?
2) If Uranium 235 has a half life of 24000 years, how long before you have one eighth of what you start with?
3) If you start with one Bacteria cell and they all split into 2 once a day, how many would you have in 4 weeks?
4) If you find 1 g of gold in one square metre, 10cm deep, how much would you expect to find in 1 sq km, 0.2m deep. Answer in kg, using Standard Form.
5) If the equation of a line is y = m x + c, what shape is the line on a graph.

The answers from the first have come back
£30 ; 3000 years ; 29 ; 2 million g ; you would join the dots up.

This is A level science. I haven't got the patience. I daresay some here will have forgotten how these go, but this is stuff they should have learned a couple of years earlier, and if they can't remember they should effin look it up.
I suppose they expect to go to "do uni" and get a job on a plate.

Last edited:
I shall look forward to the post in the 'notable obituaries' topic :)
I’ve told you before - a smiley face at the end of your posts doesn’t make you look any less of a ****!

Last edited:
Care to detail said 'codswallop'?

This week alone:

1. (statement of conformity "pass" level for a piece of work I was checking happened to be at 0.3, so anything above failed).
Operative plugged the numbers into the software, and the test spat out the result (correctly, as it happens) as 0.4.
Which they reported as a pass.
Pretty fundamental issue.

2.(technician calibrating a thermometer).
While checking the submitted calibration certificate, I noted that the serial numbers of both the operating and reference thermometer were documented as being the same.
When I raised this, the technician said they couldn't find the reference, so calibrated the operating thermometer against itself.

I requested they repeat the calibration, following the documented procedure.

This time, the reference was reported as "the BBC".
I again questioned this.
The technician said they had got the temperature from the BBC weather app, as "that'll be accurate"!

(Reference temp. was quoted as -3 degrees C, even though the test was carried out in a centrally-heated lab..)

This is a science grad, supposedly following a documented method.

People commonly report test results to whole integer only, even though the method requires 1 decimal place (even stated as required in results field). That they do it correctly sometimes indicates that they're just slapdash.

There are some good staff, but the general standard of applicants and operatives is not great and, despite their qualifications getting better, year-on-year, on paper, their glass ceilings continue to get lower.

This is why we check everything, before it goes out.

Last edited:
Long story short, these questions, went to 2 kids whose parents said they would like some help with the maths in their STEM A levels. These are friends of neighbours, in years which would have been lower and upper 6th in my day, (yr 12 & 13). I've never met them so, curious, I emailed to see what would happen:

1) If I buy something from the USA and the import tax rate is 20%, and I pay a total of £150, how much import tax have I paid?
2) If Uranium 235 has a half life of 24000 years, how long before you have one eighth of what you start with?
3) If you start with one Bacteria cell and they all split into 2 once a day, how many would you have in 4 weeks?
4) If you find 1 g of gold in one square metre, 10cm deep, how much would you expect to find in 1 sq km, 0.2m deep. Answer in kg, using Standard Form.
5) If the equation of a line is y = m x + c, what shape is the line on a graph.

The answers from the first have come back
£30 ; 3000 years ; 29 ; 2 million g ; you would join the dots up.

This is A level science. I haven't got the patience. I daresay some here will have forgotten how these go, but this is stuff they should have learned a couple of years earlier, and if they can't remember they should effin look it up.
I suppose they expect to go to "do uni" and get a job on a plate.

This reminded me of another one.

Had to calculate and report the density of some concrete.

Slightly awkward, granted, as it wasn't plain in shape.

Operative gave an answer in the billions or trillions of kg/cu.m. (might even have been more, I can't recall exactly).

Turns out they'd just typed the numbers, from left to right, into the calculator; no thought of BIDMAS.

Even ignoring this, they hadn't thought that their "answer" seemed a bit neutron-starlike. :unsure:

Another science grad. 2:1 as well......

Sponsored Links
Back