Hardworking educated students want to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pull the other one!

"Most of the 2.7 million "inactive" people under 25 are students, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The majority of them don't want a job".

I know a few friends with student children. They all seem to want to do a masters after they have done their degree and had their year out which of course involves another couple of years of not working. Then they come home and spend the next five years on the PlayStation in their bedroom looking for the 'right job' that matches their ‘skill set'. Pah!

So come on, who on here that has relied on ONS data in the past is now going to rubbish the ONS data?

Sponsored Links
Pull the other one!

"Most of the 2.7 million "inactive" people under 25 are students, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The majority of them don't want a job".

I know a few friends with student children. They all seem to want to do a masters after they have done their degree and had their year out which of course involves another couple of years of not working. Then they come home and spend the next five years on the PlayStation in their bedroom looking for the 'right job' that matches their ‘skill set". Pah!
There's a difference between unemployed and economically inactive

I'm not sure I understand this. Is it saying students don't want a job whilst they are studying at university? If so, is that news?

I'm not sure I understand this. Is it saying students don't want a job whilst they are studying at university? If so, is that news?
don't try and work out the point, it's just a chance to complain about the youngsters

Sponsored Links
Possibly. We have one in our family. Finishes his course soon. Wants to go on and do a masters. Hasn’t worked a day in his life so far. Doesn’t intend to. Won’t get a p/t job to pay for things. Expects his parents to fund him. Has no idea what job he wants to do when he finishes. Parents are looking forward to that £40k graduation photo to put on the mantelpiece.

Possibly. We have one in our family. Finishes his course soon. Wants to go on and do a masters. Hasn’t worked a day in his life so far. Doesn’t intend to. Won’t get a p/t job to pay for things. Expects his parents to fund him. Has no idea what job he wants to do when he finishes. Parents are looking forward to that £40k graduation photo to put on the mantelpiece.
What course, meeeeeja studies?

It was the BBC article which I didn't understand. I wasn't sure if it was saying that most students didn't want a job whilst they were studying, or that most students don't want a job after their course finishes.

In our family the youngsters all seem to take student loans to fund their time at university and then work in their summer holidays to top it up. My lovely niece finishes this year and has her job lined up already. All the other graduates from this generation of our family have gone straight into work as well. But we're in Yorkshire ;)

My son done a 5 year forensic biology course, with a view to being a CSI with plod. They changed their recruitment policy when he was half way through, but he stayed on all the same. Worked part time in a pub, now works full time in a pub. So he has a degree and a £40k debt.

My son done a 5 year forensic biology course, with a view to being a CSI with plod. They changed their recruitment policy when he was half way through, but he stayed on all the same. Worked part time in a pub, now works full time in a pub.

Some of the pubs I've been in over the years - I would say being able to handle crime scenes would be a distinct advantage for the staff. :giggle:

Seriously, that's tough that he worked so hard and built up a debt without being able to achieve his goal. Not very encouraging.

Something to do with chemistry I believe.

bryan-cranston-as-walter-white-and-aaron-paul-as-jesse-pinkman-cooking-metha--tv-serie-breaking-bad-gabriel-t-toro.jpg

My son done a 5 year forensic biology course, with a view to being a CSI with plod. They changed their recruitment policy when he was half way through, but he stayed on all the same. Worked part time in a pub, now works full time in a pub. So he has a degree and a £40k debt.
They're probably the most exploitative course around. 2-300 graduates a year for 5 jobs, for which you don't need that specific degree.

The BBC link gives the age range as 16- 24
Yet full time education in the UK finishes at 18.

there are 2 million 16 to 18 year olds.

The majority of them don't want a job
That is stated as fact, but no mention of where the data comes from

Its a pretty poor article by the BBC

Sponsored Links
Back