Poor suffering students?

And not one person went to university
Not any that I knew of. Honestly, but it was in a pretty deprived area of East London. Some in my class did well for themselves - Alan Curbishley played for West Ham and later managed them. Some did not so well - Tony Tucker - he was one of the Essex boys that was killed in the Range Rover murders!

Sponsored Links
A proper one. South West Ham Technical college. Uniform compulsory and all boys. I had to pass the 11+ to go there for those that remember it.

I'd never heard of them. It looks like they were pretty rare. If you had passed the 11+, it seems you could choose between a grammar school and a secondary technical school in some areas. Only 2% to 3% of kids got to go to one.

I'd never heard of them. It looks like they were pretty rare. If you had passed the 11+, it seems you could choose between a grammar school and a secondary technical school in some areas. Only 2% to 3% of kids got to go to one.
Yep, one of those. Nobody else I knew passed it and I remember my mum crying her eyes out when she opened the letter telling her that I had passed. I had a choice of six or seven schools to go to.

Sponsored Links
I do remember the big recession in 1981 and on. The specials wrote about it:

This town.. is like a ghost town
All the clubs .... are being closed down

This place is coming like a ghost town
Bands won't play no more
Too much fighting on the dance floor

Back