Remember when -

Sponsored Links
I have no idea. Mobiles just came out as I became an adult.

mobile phones are an unreliable service. Like the internet.

If you need reliability, you'll use wired or PMR.

If you are involved in tracking or repairing utilities or mobile phones, you won't rely on mobile, because in a major incident, you can expect it to stop working. Wired phones are much more resilient.

Sponsored Links
If the girl was ill, surely a mobile could call 999 or 112, even with no sim, it was a data failure, mobiles still worked.
unless the network was overloaded with no spare capacity.

As typically happens with mass panic or inconvenience.

I bet mobiles have saved more people than a lack of service has caused deaths.

Although probably those saved is probably offset by the number killed taking selfies.

When I went to work in South Africa in 1981, me and my girlfriend (now my wife), had to write to each other before she came out there too and the letters took a couple of weeks to go back and forth. Try telling that to a youngster in this age of WhatsApp and FaceTime and they’d think you’re mad!

Mobil phones for all their good have I think been a factor in recent recessions.
Alot of manufacture and technical jobs would have been lost due to Mobil phones.
Calculaters
Sat navs
Neespapers
Magazines
Nail grooming sets.
Bleepers
Nose hair trimmers
compasses
Torches

All be it in over ways it's created jobs.

I can remember when most didn't have phones.

We had to walk down to the phone box to call the few who did and police, fire, ambulance, businesses, taxis etc.

If your relatives lived a few miles away you had to go and talk to them - telegrams of course.

For the youngsters, a telegram was a text message delivered by hand.

go on a building site nowadays and the only time any one talks to you is when they working

Sit down for tea or what ever and every one is on there mobile texting.

I've had the same mobile number for 24 years. I think my first handset was a Nokia 2110. Imagine the fuss if all motor vehicles packed up. Becoming reliant on things is not necessarily a bad thing, nor is being a luddite I guess.

Things just move quicker with tech.

Sponsored Links
Back