Remote control of boiler flow temperature?

The whole point is that the CH doesn't cool down significantly while heating the cylinder. A reheat on a cylinder using hot water priority should take around 10-15 minutes, during which time you'll notice almost zero difference in the room temperature. A mid position valve would just result in the radiators getting too hot and the reheat time of the cylinder significantly increasing
Cant agree with that. A large capacity cylinder that's been run cold could take longer than that to recover and if the CH is off for 30+ mins, with people coming and going then the air temp could drop significantly.

The radiators wouldn't get too hot if the set temp was say 60 deg for the HW

Sponsored Links
The Urban Plumber has a useful video on how to setup a hot water priority system where the boiler runs water at maximum output to heat water in the cylinder, but will operate the central heating at a lower flow temp with OpenTherm & weather compensation for efficiency.
Will it work without weather compensation?

EPH controls can do it with a simple S plan (up to 5 zones). I have it with 2 heating and a HW with Vokera's Vision Plus system boiler although it will work with our heat only boiler or any other boiler in our ranges with OpenTherm.
Alternatives are to chose a boiler where max and min can be selected in parameters. If you want more than that you can fit an accessory box to arrange say radiator temps, underfloor temps with an electronic mixing valve (better than thermostatic).

Alternatively if you are preparing and will wait till end of year look for the Vibe Max S system boiler with wi-fi smart key, flow temps adjustable from app. Available November.
Very interesting, thank you.

I've just been checking the Vokera system boilers at Wolseley. There is big difference in price between Vision S and Vision S Plus. I'm just interested in what the main differences are?

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised the Vision S is listed, the Plus replaced it over a year ago.

Vision has aluminium heat exchanger and basic software. Vision Plus has stainless. hex and much more flexible software. 7 years I think on both, definitely with the Plus.

In the future the Plus may be able to accept the wi-fi key with a software update but none in any of the production runs too date. The Vision S cannot.

The only way to get remote control and easily set temps is with EPH OpenTherm control for either boiler.

I'm a bit hopeless with tech. Is there an app, or smart controller, which lets you remotely alter the boiler flow temperature? Reason is, I might want to run the CH very cool, but be able to boost the temperature for DHW. It's a bit clunky, but I envisage turning DHW on for an hour a day and turning CH off. But, I wouldn't want to have to go into the garage and change the temperature manually every time.

Not remotely, but my system does that all by itself. Vaillant Vsmart.

It controls the flow temperature for CH, based on how much heat input it decides my house needs, to meet the temperature I have programmed, or set. Completely separately, when there is a demand to heat the hot water cylinder, it has a settable maximum flow temperature. As it cannot deliver at two flow temperatures at the same time, it only serves one or the other, with priority given to heating the cylinder.

It does have an outdoor temperature sensor, but that is not essential, it just makes the system better able to match the precise demand for the CH, and work a bit more economically.

Last edited:
Not remotely, but my system does that all by itself. Vaillant Vsmart.

It controls the flow temperature for CH, based on how much heat input it decides my house needs, to meet the temperature I have programmed, or set. Completely separately, when there is a demand to heat the hot water cylinder, it has a settable maximum flow temperature. As it cannot deliver at two flow temperatures at the same time, it only serves one or the other, with priority given to heating the cylinder.
If it's separate, does that mean I could have the priority hot water, but manage the CH flow temperature myself?

The Urban Plumber has a useful video on how to setup a hot water priority system where the boiler runs water at maximum output to heat water in the cylinder, but will operate the central heating at a lower flow temp with OpenTherm & weather compensation for efficiency.
Just looking at UP website. It looks like the Logic Heat only boiler can also do this?

Does it work exactly the same as the Vogue? I have S Plan+ which was covered in the video.

Last edited:
If it's separate, does that mean I could have the priority hot water, but manage the CH flow temperature myself?

As said - HW always takes priority - only once that is satisfied does it tackle providing heating. No you cannot set the flow temperature, it decides itself what the flow temperature needs to be, to meet the demand for central heating and perfectly, so why would you want to change it? The flow temperature is controlled by modulation of the boiler, which in effect means a constant steady flow temperature, and an end to the on/off, hot/cold of a conventional system, so no more creaking pipes once the house is warm, and better efficiency.

Basically, when it is heating the cylinder, it cannot provide any central heating, despite my having a mid- position valve, the system obviously does not use the mid-position, because of the need for two flow temperatures. So my CH might shut down for 10 or 15 minutes whilst the boiler serves the cylinders need for heat. In practice that 10 or 15 minutes is not noticeable.

No you cannot set the flow temperature, it decides itself what the flow temperature needs to be, to meet the demand for central heating and perfectly, so why would you want to change it? The flow temperature is controlled by modulation of the boiler, which in effect means a constant steady flow temperature, and an end to the on/off, hot/cold of a conventional system, so no more creaking pipes once the house is warm, and better efficiency.
I'd be happy with automatic most of the time. I just like to experiment sometimes, so was thinking the option to override would be nice.

How does it control so well? Some sort of load or weather compensation?

Last edited:
I'd be happy with automatic most of the time. I just like to experiment sometimes, so was thinking the option to override would be nice.

How does it control so well? Some sort of load or weather compensation?

It learns what it needs to do, in what weather circumstances. It does so much better than you or I could do it, I just leave it to get on with it.

If you want to automate it Open therm can do it and you can adjust limits manually anytime or say VSMART etc.

If you just want to adjust flow temps yourself then the plug-in wi-fi Smartkey will do it.

If you want to automate it Open therm can do it and you can adjust limits manually anytime or say VSMART etc.

If you just want to adjust flow temps yourself then the plug-in wi-fi Smartkey will do it.
Wolseley also sell another Vokera system boiler called Evolve, but it's not on Vokera website.

Just looking at UP website. It looks like the Logic Heat only boiler can also do this?

Does it work exactly the same as the Vogue? I have S Plan+ which was covered in the video.
It possibly can, but you don't want a Logic, too many known faults and the modulation is terrible

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back