Remote control of outdoor led lights

if you can plug them in in the outbuilding would something simple like this work

I have a set similar to those and for many years, never an issue with them an good range, but you do need to be within range. The Smart Plugs can be operated from where ever you happen to be in the world, so long as you have Internet access.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
if you can plug them in in the outbuilding would something simple like this work

Probably will work, depending on the range. But a bit “old tech”. There’s no chance of Alexa etc connection. And you have to remember where you left the remote…

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Probably will work, depending on the range. But a bit “old tech”. There’s no chance of Alexa etc connection. And you have to remember where you left the remote…

Also beware of the type which only has a common button for both on and off - you need to be able to see the device, to know whether you have it on or off.

Sponsored Links
I started with Energenie Mihome sockets, they will work with a remote control, but if you want to set times or use on internet they also need a hub, they worked fine for around 3 years, then started to get failures.

I then started to use zigbee which uses smart life, that also needs a hub, but some items work direct without the zigbee hub and still use smart life, and because both use the same app, can't remember which use the hub and which are direct.

Using Nest Mini it uses Google Home, which combines both the Energenie and the Zigbee items, so some times not sure which are which now, but after having problems with Energenie and had to remove light switches and sockets, I now go for plug in units.

I have not had one of these socket-adaptor.jpgfail yet, but it is clearly easier to remove one of them to these socket-eg.jpgalso the zigbee stuff shows on app on or off, the energenie stuff does not show up on the app.

I haven't had one of those fail yet. In fact I have one in the loft, plugged into a socket which is connected to the lighting circuit. ;)

Just to be clear - none of mine have failed, they have simply failed to respond/crashed/needed to be rebooted. All eight are still working fine.

As some of you seem to have knowledge/experience of this kit ...
Which is better (or are they equal) Google Home or Amazon Alexa
Initially, it's just a few strings of lights .... can see the need to have the doorbell change to a video bell, and as well as ringing bell in house, routes to phone(s).
So be good to try and get decision on direction right now.

Initially, it's just a few strings of lights .... can see the need to have the doorbell change to a video bell, and as well as ringing bell in house, routes to phone(s).

I have no experience of Google, only Alexa. Alexa works quite well it's Routines are very configurable and Alexa is regularly updated with more features. It's one failing which has stumped me, is that I cannot see any facility for it to be able to actively report when it loses contact with a smart device. Load Alexa, look at a device on it and it does indicate any it cannot contact, but that needs action from you to check. Why cannot it actively check and let you know?

As some of you seem to have knowledge/experience of this kit ...
You don’t understand the relationship.

The voice response interface (Alexa/Google) is just a command.
That command links to the app, the app talks to the socket.

Stop thinking about the voice command. They are all the same, it’s the reliability of the smart socket and it’s app that matters.

I have no experience of Alexa, only Google Mini's. They seem to work well, but some times it does get it wrong, likely because I have no teeth, seems to work OK for my wife. It does show when contact is lost, the icon is greyed out, and shows blue when switched on, and the voice will also report when it can't do as asked.

But it can make mistakes, in the early days I would say hey google turn off, when listening to radio 4 extra, and it would reply turning off 5 switches and all the lights would go out, hey google turn lights back on, got I don't know how to do that yet. However now we have got use to it, I realise it did not know the switches were lights, and had I asked it to turn on 5 switches likely it would have worked.

My landing light has two sections centre and outer, the command hey google turn on/off landing light turns them all on/off, but switch outer or switch inner will switch on inner or outer lights.

So in the main down to the names you have used, turn on linda's bedroom works different lights to turn on linda's bedroom lights, not googles fault, that's my fault in the names I have selected.

I can pair the Nest Mini's so can have stereo, I am only using the Mini's the larger version is likely more powerful, the early mini's with USB power don't seem to hear us as well as latter ones with jack plugs, there is a switch to turn off the microphone, although that makes them harder to use.

Biggest problem is when asking it questions it some times sends the link to my tablet, so wife will ask hey google who were the kings of England, and it will arrive on my tablet as well as voice report.

I will admit they were not bought to automate the house, where we live there is no FM radio reception so they were got to listen to radio with, I think we have about 8 of them, so works in every room. Although not one in the hall, others in the house do hear the commands.

With three floors the broadcast works well, no need to shout my wife.

I have no experience of Alexa, only Google Mini's. They seem to work well, but some times it does get it wrong, likely because I have no teeth, seems to work OK for my wife. It does show when contact is lost, the icon is greyed out, and shows blue when switched on,

The same as Alexa, but unless you open Alexa, when there is a problem, you would not be aware of it. I'm usually told I don't have much of a regional accent, but I have been surprised at how well Alexa can interpret voice commands, that is if I can remember them. I struggle to remember which from 'Iphone boost' or 'boost Iphone' is the correct command to give my phone a boost charge.

and the voice will also report when it can't do as asked.

Nothing from Alexa at all, in the way of a complaint. It does seem to say OK, if it can do it, but nothing if it doesn't recognise the command or cannot do it. Upstairs in the bedroom, I have a Fire with no speaker, just a mic in it's remote, able to accept commands - that give no feedback at all, apart if you can see the light or what ever you have commanded it to operate.

I have used the "Call Home" to test it, and it did work, so yes can use mobile phone to broadcast to all Nest Mini's at home, but never really tried to use it, in the main better mobile to mobile.

Main use is to listen to radio 4 extra. But to be fair we do have I think eight of them now, bought when going cheap, so around £20 each, but as with Alexa there are more than the cheap units I have, how much extra the more expensive ones do I don't know.

Just handy when I have a cup of coffee in each hand to be able to say hey google turn on landing lights.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back