Remote Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've bought a remote/touch 2 Way 1 Gang light switch off eBay and didn't realise it was coming from China! I so I don't understand the instructions and i've also only fitted light switches with a coms l1 and l2 :(.

It's in the living room so there's a standard 2 way 1 gang on the other wall, the terminals on this one are Out, L, S and X, so would it be Coms - X, L1 - L and L2 - Out?

thanks
Juno

Sponsored Links
Its likely that switch requires a neutral, do you have a live and neutral at the switch location? Do you have a copy of the instruction or link to the product you can show us?

Also does the product meet British standards and your confident that its safe to use? I would always be very cautious about using imported electrical items that most likely haven't been tested or built to standards (despite any markings) as I wouldn't want to put myself or family at risk. I know Chinese products get a bashing on these forums but with good reason. Yes most things are made in china but UK retailers usually ensure they are up to standards/safe to use in this country. Whereas eBay does not care or enforce this, and buying direct from china means you might be getting an unsafe/poor quality product with no comeback should you have an issue or worse a fatality.

Yeah I've bought the same ones before which came with printed out instructions but they were all as a gift so I don't have them and they had theirs over a year with no problems, here's a picture,
20170405_121729.jpg

Each light has out out out L S X

On a quick glance, L is your common (live feed), then the 3 outs are the switched live for up to 3 different rooms/lights. S & X look like they are for wiring to other light switches, although I cant tell if they can be normal switches or only this type. So the two other wires that go to the other switch will need wiring into S & X (yellow and blue) as per the diagram.

Sponsored Links
Tried it several different ways and just can't get it to work, worked one way if the other switch was off,and that was with red in L, blue in Out and Yellow in S :-\

Juno

Your not trying to match the colours at the light switch's to the colours in that diagram are you?

No I've tried the way omega suggested and the way I mentioned above, I've contacted the seller for either a refund or to find out if you have to use 2 of there switches or not.

Can you get it to work with only 1 switch wired up and leaving out the other switch altogether? In this instance you would only have a live feed into the switch and the switched live in one of the outs. Can you post pictures of your wires?

I've came home now, but will have a look again when the seller gets back to me. The switch worked when I had live in L and blue in one if the Outs, I also had the yellow in S and had to have the other switch one way then it worked and stopped working if I turned the other switch the other way, would it make a difference which switch in the living room I was changing? The other switch has 2 in l1 and 3 in l2.

Juno

I have no idea how they are handling the other switches over those S & X terminals as they don't seem to follow logic, unless they are sending a specific signal over them that only those switches understand. In which case using an ordinary 2 way switch will not work, and it requires that specific type of switch on all switches operating those lights. Either that or the Chinese wiring diagram is incorrectly drawn in regards to additional switches (very possible).

Last edited:
When I was looking for similar wiring I structions I saw the branded remote dimmers like lightwave require an additional specific switch I assume they send signals over? This one never mentioned anything so assumed I could just replace like for like, I've found the eBay page, the photos they have list the other 2 terminals as a and b, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311742715...49&var=610627056019&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I am going to assume its also some signal/impulse being sent over those AB/SX lines. Guess you will need to either return/not use the switch, purchase a second one, or not have the secondary light switch. I assume its something slightly more complex than a momentary short between them otherwise the master switch wouldn't know which light it was meant to switch on/off.

Looking at the diagram it would seem the two way works by having a master and slaves, this is also used by other manufacturers often with a S terminal. It is common with dimming switches so each switch can tell the master how much to dim.

I am sure it will work with the dedicated remote switches, but you can't expect it to work with simple two way switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back