Removal of asbestos garage ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My integral garage ceiling built circa 1970 is boarded with asbestos sheets nailed to the joists. Its about 10sqm. I have had it tested and identified as Chrysotile + Amosite.

Nobody seems to want to quote for its removal except for one firm who wanted £3,000.

I understand that some asbestos removal jobs can be done without a licence. Is this one of them?

If not what is a reasonable cost. House is in Buckinghamshire.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I understand that some asbestos removal jobs can be done without a licence. Is this one of them?
No. That's AIB (the more hazardous stuff) and in that quantity requires a licenced removal, notification to the HSE, method statement and full tenting and sheeting.

Okay thanks. I want to insulate the first floor. If I leave the asbestos in place would you think it safe to pull up the floorboards above to insulate between joists or to screw into it from below or am I best off just leaving it well alone.

Thanks

If left in place its best to paint it with a gloss paint or similar to ensure that no fibres are released if casually bumped or scraped.

Otherwises it is safe to leave and wto work next to.

Fixing through is a bit different as it will generate dust. There are ways to catch the dust in a gel when drilling, or a vacuum with high filtration, but amosite fibres are smaller and lighter than chrysotile, so are a higher risk. But it depends on how many fixings as to how much risk and potential exposure.

If left in place and covered with paint or whatever, add labels to remind you not to drill through and to warn others who may come to work there or future owners

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks. I want to insulate the first floor. If I leave the asbestos in place would you think it safe to pull up the floorboards above to insulate between joists or to screw into it from below or am I best off just leaving it well alone.

Thanks
Raising the boards above may release fibres that were trapped on top of the boards during fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back