removal of garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
How do i remove the spring on this door assembly ? i can see a socket on the left of the spring but it looks different to any on the videos i've seen, it seems to have an allen key grub screw on the top and bottom and the 4 holes on the sides so am i to put a screwdriver in two of these holes and loosen the grub screws a bit and wind it down that way ? Just conscious of how much tension these things have in them.

Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0055.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0055.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 92
  • thumbnail_IMG_0056.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0056.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I took one like that off the neighbours 70s garage recently and I just took the angle grinder to the arms that guide the garage door open and close
( I did it with the garage door closed )

I took one like that off the neighbours 70s garage recently and I just took the angle grinder to the arms that guide the garage door open and close
( I did it with the garage door closed )

Closed, is when the spring will be under maximum tension to help lift the weight of the door. Doing it that way, better to cut the arms with the arms in the fully up position - after cutting the door free first and that after lashing the arms down.

Thanks but i have a load of slabs and concrete on the other side of the door which will stop it opening (there's a full skip so not a quick job to move) so i was hoping to leave the door where it is and just remove the spring as that is what's over the top height of the walls? Can i not just un-tension the spring with the door in place ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks but i have a load of slabs and concrete on the other side of the door which will stop it opening (there's a full skip so not a quick job to move) so i was hoping to leave the door where it is and just remove the spring as that is what's over the top height of the walls? Can i not just un-tension the spring with the door in place ?

Those springs are under life threatening tension. What ever method you use, you need to release the tension under very careful control, wearing as a minimum thick clothes, thick gloves and eye protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back