Removal of internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could give me a ball-park estimate of the cost and time required to knock through an internal wall on the 1st floor of a house, supporting it with an RSJ. The wall is about 3" thick and 8ft long.

Is it a big job that takes days and costs thousands of £££ ?? Or maybe cheaper than this ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
provided the internal wall in question does not carry any of the roof members i.e. ceiling binder, purlin, joists, then it will likely be hundreds rather than thousands.

how much of the wall do you wish to remove and what is the wall constructed from?

The wall is made of brick and currently has a 33" doorway in it. There is no corresponding wall underneath it at ground floor level. I wish to have as much of the wall taken out to open up the room as much as possible, although having a foot or so "jutting in" is still fine.

skippy176 said:
Is it a big job that takes days and costs thousands of £££ ?? Or maybe cheaper than this ??

Thanks

PLease note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
if your house was built say sixties-seventies, then they did tend to build first floor walls out of 3" cinderblock. these would typically have a timber bearer plate fixed to the floor and wouldn't necessarily have a wall supporting below.

you could potentially remove the entire wall with no ill affects. the ceiling below may crack as the weight is lifted off it!

just make sure the wall does not go on above the ceiling and carry any roof members, and you will be ok.

Typically, the job should take about 6 man-days altogether (say about £120 per day) plus some materials.

Two days to knock through and install the RSJ.

Two man-days involving electrical/ gas work.

Two more for replastering and tidying up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back