Removal of large beam below ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
There is a large timber beam spanning two rooms in my house, which appears to be decorative and not structural. However it's a bit of a monster (about 28 feet long and measures around 9" x 8"), and I really wanted to look for second opinions before I tackle removing it, especially as someone obviously went to great effort in installing this thing!

The house is brick built in the 1930's - not an old cob wall cottage, and so I think this is decorative, especially as it used to be a pub. Certainly the smaller beams spanning outwards are fake, they look like they've come from an old barn or gate posts! One room (with the central light) has just a pitched roof above (no storage up there), the other room has a bedroom above (that's the one where I've torn down some of the false ceiling). The bedroom has pretty reasonable joists of it's own (10" x 2" at 13" spacing over an 11 foot span), so I see no reason why this beam is providing extra support, and it runs parallel with the joists anyway.

The beam appears only to be fixed by embedding into the brickwork at either end and in the middle of the two rooms (shown where I ripped out part of the false ceiling). It is solid as I drilled a test hole through it, although the drill went through quickly so I guess it's not oak.

I'm thinking to acro prop it to support it's weight as it's solid and probably very very heavy, and then take it down in a few sections. It kind of fazes me taking this on, so I wondered if anyone else has any views or guidance please?

Cheers, Dave.

Attachments

• 20240221_140022[1].jpg
    20240221_140022[1].jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240221_135811[1].jpg
    20240221_135811[1].jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240221_135831[1].jpg
    20240221_135831[1].jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Mock Tudor 1930's so probably ok to remove it as the existing 10 x 2 joists should be adequate for an 11 foot span, as well as any lateral restraint on the walls. Does seem counter intuitive to remove something that big though.

Thanks Blup! Reason for removal on the kitchen side (1st photo) is that I'm planning to have the roof replaced and one made which gives us a vaulted ceiling with nice sleekness and not gnarly old timber! The beam is well split, woodwormed, and people have cut chunks out to feed ducting pipes etc too. On the second room I've got the luxury(?) of 2.7M height to the original lath ceiling so wanted to maximise headroom for when a lighter duty false ceiling is to be installed.

I'm thinking to acro prop it to support it's weight as it's solid and probably very very heavy, and then take it down in a few sections. It kind of fazes me taking this on, so I wondered if anyone else has any views or guidance please?
Get it checked first it could be serving a purpose.
I know a fella who removed corbelling (he thought it was not needed) and within a month the roof collapsed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Blup! Reason for removal on the kitchen side (1st photo) is that I'm planning to have the roof replaced and one made which gives us a vaulted ceiling with nice sleekness and not gnarly old timber!

So no joists at all there, the beam might therefore be offering lateral support after all.

Thanks for all your advice everyone (y)
I'll get a structural engineer in to check and possibly have to give in and clad over it, although perhaps he might suggest a more modern and lower profile replacement. It may even be a bonus for the kitchen side to fix on light fittings too as I'm struggling to think of how to best design the kitchen lights for a vaulted ceiling!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back