Removal of Load Bearing Wall - Your Thoughts Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I appreciate that you guys cant formally advise on this work (requires a Structural Engineer and plans etc), but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on my builders quote of work to remove a load bearing wall between our kitchen and dining room.

The Wall
* Spans 4.35 metres and supports a wall upstairs that divides our bedroom and bathroom.
* It supports a couple of joists crossing over it (I presume it is only a couple of joists across the bedroom which is 4.35 metres long).
* Wall is not supporting any of the roof in the loft.
* Constructed from brick and is 150mm.

The Plan
* To use a 4.6m long RSJ, 200mm wide.
* Sit the beam on approx 300-400mm brick nib (part of the original wall) at one end and approx 80mm brick nib (part of the original wall) at the other but with an additional 300mm of building timber posts to rest on (3 x 100mm posts with no gap between them). This end with the timber posts will be hidden inside a small stud wall that we want to block a gap.
* There was no mention of padstones, but I presume they will use some kind - is this always needed etc?

Does this sound enough support for this wall/RSJ?

To me it does sound sufficient from what I have read, but what does anyone else think?

One more thing, should the RSJ be boxed in with fireproof boarding before plastered? Again, there was no mention of this!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
[quotewith an additional 300mm of building timber posts to rest on (3 x 100mm posts with no gap between them). [/quote]

Supporting a beam of this length (you say it is 200 wide but do you mean 200 deep?) on timber posts seems suspect. How are the posts to be fixed to the beam, and how will the posts be restrained at the bottom?

Can they not build a brick pier bonded to the existing wall?

You certainly should get this checked by a SE

Thanks Tony. I'm not sure about how those posts would be fixed etc, I think an SE is definately the best bet.

Can anyone recommend an SE in the Leeds LS28 area?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
recommendation for an SE at a resonable price is Haigh Huddlestone Associates. Based in Dewsbury. thakns

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back