Removal of oil storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have in the cellar what I believe to be an old oil container. However, I can't see anywhere the inlet or outlet for the oil, nor can I see any connection to the Honeywell Oil heater (last serviced 1974!).

Its approx 7ftx7ftx7ft and sounds hollow when I tap on it (both at the top and bottom. Thats not to say there isn't some sludge in there though). Appears to have been bought into the cellar in large sections and then welded together.

I want to free up some space, so what is the best way to get of it? As it possibly may have oil inside, am I best leaving it to a professional?

View media item 82654

Sponsored Links
Does it have a filler cap at the top?

Anyway I can't imagine anyone would think it was a good idea to install a oil tank inside a building!

Sponsored Links
If it is a tank - and it sure looks like it.....it must have a filler neck somewhere ( maybe to the outside) and an outlet pipe.
Maybe it was dropped in before the cellar had a ceiling?
John :)

LordFrederickIII, Hi

If the tank was used to contain kerosene which was used to supply the old Honeywell Oil heater (last serviced 1974!), I would be very, very cautious about what you do with the tank.

This is a project for a tank cleaning firm who will also remove it for you.

This is not a job for any jack the lad scrap dealer, any residual oil will go bang if someone uses an angle grinder or flame cutter on it to remove it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back