Removal of old fire back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In need of some help.

We have a nice 80's brick surround, well had one, I knocked it down, now I want to remove the fireback to fit a new inset stove type thing.

Is it simply a case of attacking the fireback with a club hammer? I have attached some pics to show, I think the lintel can stay but appears to be supported by the fireback.

Also would you say the inset fire, link attached requires a back panel, I was hoping not to use one.

Thanks for looking!

Pics

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

Here is the stove;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Fue...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=4401162464667049007

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
you will need to take off some plaster above the lintel to see if there is another structural one higer up. The one underneath may be a throat forming lintel put in as part of the fireback and then the red brick built infilled reducing the opening size.

Then again this may not be the case in which event you'll need to install a new one at your desired height.

Theres not a lot of bearing on the lintol, plus the bricks up the side dont look very well tied in.
Id put a new lintol a bit higher up, with more bearing either end, then rip the old one out, knock out the loose bricks either side, to give a wider opening then rip out the fire back.
The stove should be fitted by a Hetas registered installer, if you go down the diy route you need to inform BCO who will inspect every thing and issue certificate.

From what i can see your fire place has been reduced in an existing fire place. Easy to know just shine a torch up the chimney and look above the lintel i see in the pic. You should see and arched support. If you do then you can rip everything out sides, back and old lintel. Once your back to the sound structure of your chimney you can do all you want worry free. Be sure your flue is ok for the fuel you'll bern.

Sponsored Links
Ebay ad is a bit odd if its a defra approved stove why isnt the manufacturer or model listed ? Then it could be checked, as with everything else there is stuff coming in thats fake and stoves are no exception.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back