Removal of shower pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to some help I have purchased a Stuart Turner pump to replace my almost dead Bristan Varispeed. Looking at a few threads it seems it depends on your set up when it comes to installation.

In terms of removing the old pump, would the best course of action be as follows:
  • Turn of the stop cock which feeds the rising main into the water cistern above the hot water cylinder.
  • Shut the left and right hand valves to stop water draining from the cistern to HWC.
  • Drain the HWC using the drain cock with a hose into the bath then remove the pump from its fitting to drain any remaining water?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EAA50E9A-E5F2-4459-A113-4FA0FDA84A4D.jpeg
    EAA50E9A-E5F2-4459-A113-4FA0FDA84A4D.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 248
  • E9293B10-1905-40D3-9DB6-27378FDDD3A0.jpeg
    E9293B10-1905-40D3-9DB6-27378FDDD3A0.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 242
Sponsored Links
You don't need to drain the hot water cylinder. Just close off the supply of cold water from the cold water storage cistern to the HWC. Then open the hot water taps ( kitchen sink ,bath etc) .
You will also need to close off the cold supply to the pump from CWSC . You could do as you suggest by closing off the mains to the CWSC and draining it ,but that wastes water and is pointless if you have isolators .
Electrics should be isolated before working on the pump. There will be some water still in the pipes so be prepared to contain it.
Very often there are isolators on the pump / supply hoses. Do you have these ?

Thanks terryplumb.

In reference to the closing off the cold supply to the pump from CWSC would this be done through them valves seen in the first photo? Seems to be only cut off I can find.

For the isolates on the pumps or hoses, don’t think so? The second photo is showing the hoses and outlet from the pump

Attachments

• A8B16AD9-565A-4477-9D80-B04DAF829410.jpeg
    A8B16AD9-565A-4477-9D80-B04DAF829410.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 56FEB99A-6092-4AA6-8B52-924F074C8128.jpeg
    56FEB99A-6092-4AA6-8B52-924F074C8128.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 258
Yes it appears those two lever valves (the left one is already closed in your pic) are the only isolators from the CWSC. If there are no other outlets from the CWSC then one has to feed to the HWC ,and the other to the pumps cold inlet ,follow the pipes it should be obvious.
One of the silver flexi hoses to the pump is severely twisted and would be very restrictive. When you fit the new pump ,don't make that mistake !!!
No isolators on the pump then ,but you could clamp the hoses ( I assume you are going to use all new ones ) before releasing from the pump. Once released ,direct into a bucket and release the clamp. That would help you to control / contain the release of water from the pipes.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed the two drain cock's ,are they on the hot and cold to pump ?

That is what I found earlier with the outlets from the CWCS. The twist I did today when trying to remove it but had to tighten back up as water was flowing out!

The clamps seems a good idea, thanks. Also them drain cocks on the pipe work stem from the 2 central outlet connections on the pump? Would these be the best choice to drain the pump?

The drain cocks appear to be on the pumps hot and cold outputs .They can certainly be used to drain SOME of the pipework. There will however still be some water in the pipes.

Thanks for the advice.

I’ll shut the valves, then drain the HWC by opening taps to run dry. Then use the drain cocks you mentioned to drain as much water from the pump as possible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back