Removal of sub wall section for pipe work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would like some expert option please on this one. Currently replacing all my rads and heating copper as it was old and very badly installed.

I have a pair of 22 mm running front to back which currently rest on top of the damp course of the sub walls the floor joists sit on. The 15mm to the rads will tee off clipped under the floor joists.

I am wanting to lower the 22mm slightly to allow for proper draining. Is ther anything wrong with removing a small section to take 2x 25 mm pipes at a lower level. Pic below hopefully shows. Ignore the power cable that is all being replaced too. The copper pipes will sit in the middle of the space.

Sponsored Links
I can't see anything particularly wrong with that, but I wouldn't want to compromise the DPC in any way......also, be aware that hammering is likely to dislodge the bricks in the sleeper wall.
John :)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I was going to angle grind 2 slots down and knock out the bit inbetween to make a recess. It's going to disturb the dpc though....

Ok, just lay in another layer of DPC under the pipes, which laps under the existing stuff.
Are you going to insulate your new pipes?
John :)

Sponsored Links
That sounds good and yes they will all be insulated. The old pipe work was virtually all 15mm from the boiler with just the boiler tails in 22, then 8mm microbore to the rads, no insulation to speak of and the system couldn't be drained ... No drain cocks anywhere, I had to cut pipes in various places to drain it to replace it.

All new rads too, Mysons are number one choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back