Altering a pipe in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to extend some copper pipe in the wall by 30 mm.

It's a tail for a bathroom towel rail. The numpty plumber firm installed one tail 30 mm lower than the other.

I've another plumber coming to look at it on Thursday.

Here's a picture:

The pipe runs under the floor then rises within the wall and pokes out through the plaster.

I've removed the surrounding plaster to expose the pipe. There is some upwards movement and around 2-3 mm gap between the rear of the pipe and the blockwork.

Clearly there is no room for a pipe-slice but I'm hoping that (after draining the heating system) the plumber could cut the pipe using a padsaw with appropriate blade then slip a straight coupling over the end to solder a new piece of copper that exits 30 mm higher than the previous.

I'm hoping to avoid taking up the floor tile and cutting into the plywood subfloor.

What are you thoughts on the issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm relieved to hear (so far...) that it should be achievable without too much trauma. Hopefully the plumber who comes on Thursday will concur :unsure:

The numpty plumber firm installed one tail 30 mm lower than the other.

The plumber would have left them pipes level and at the correct centers for your towel rail.

Other trades have been in and covered over the pipes, the pipes have been moved out of position. Someone has to be :idea: supervising the trades people.

If you cut off the plaster to expose the other pipe,the pipes should pull up or push down enough to get em level. get the towel warmer fitted then make good the plaster.

plumbers (y)

The plumber would have left them pipes level and at the correct centers for your towel rail.

Other trades have been in and covered over the pipes, the pipes have been moved out of position. Someone has to be :idea: supervising the trades people.

If you cut off the plaster to expose the other pipe,the pipes should pull up or push down enough to get em level. get the towel warmer fitted then make good the plaster.

plumbers (y)

No this is a bonafide cowboy I'm afraid.

Both pipes are limited in their vertical movement by the notched joist that they are resting on and the plywood floor that is screwed to the joist. I can feel it when handling the pipe. There is not 30mm play attributable to that. 10mm absolute max.

Capture.JPG

I can solder when the mood takes me :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back