Making radiator pipe shrouds from chrome pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed that it's not that expensive to purchase metres lengths of 22 mm diameter chrome pipe. Equally it's relatively inexpensive to purchase the metal chromed circular (22mm central hole) ends for the floor.

I was thinking of making some radiator pipe shrouds for 15 mm diameter white radiator piping and cutting up some chrome pipe like this would be much cheaper than using ready-made pipe shrouds.

How feasible is this, or would the chrome simply break when cutting the chromed copper pipe?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

I haven't seen the plastic ones, presumably they wouldn't look as good as the copper shrouds which have a chrome finish.

Copper shrouds with a chromed finish are around £15-£20/pair.

Shrouds cut from a chromed copper pipe, is it essentially not just the same thing? After all, it's a shroud finisher, it's not connected to allow anything with anything running through it.

thumb_pipe-sleeves-and-collars-for-radiator-pipework-shiny-chrome-extra1.jpg

Sponsored Links
If all the rads will be piped from under boards why not just use 15mm pipe to valves? With compression tees it would be a lot less faffing. Although you will be charged more.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think he means put 22mm chrome pipe over the 15mm copper pipe
Yes, that's what I meant in my first post. I asked a retailer of 22m external diameter chrome pipe if 15mm pipe would fit inside it, and they informed me it would.

I think he means put 22mm chrome pipe over the 15mm copper pipe
Yes, that's what I meant in my first post. I asked a retailer of 22m external diameter chrome pipe if 15mm pipe would fit inside it, and they informed me it would.
Well of course you will be able to fit 22mm pipe over 15mm pipe. You don't need to post here to ask that.

It might look a bit stupid having thick pipes going up to your radiator valves.

The ready-made ones you linked to fit snugly around the copper pipe.

Well of course you will be able to fit 22mm pipe over 15mm pipe.
Not necessarily.

You'll note the chrome pipe has an external diameter of 22mm (not an internal diameter). Therefore depending on the internal diameter, 15mm pipework may or may not fit inside this.

I didn't know what the internal diameter was for the 22mm chrome pipe, as plumbing is not my area, though the retailer informs me 15mm pipe will fit through it.

It might look a bit stupid having thick pipes going up to your radiator valves.

The ready-made ones you linked to fit snugly around the copper pipe.

I see what you mean, the chrome shrouds shown in the link have an 18mm diameter.

If I asked my original question with respect to using an 18mm diameter chrome pipe, how feasible is it to cut this without the chrome breaking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back