Remove a ceiling joist brace??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DF964096-B24D-46DA-8FF1-7AB2BB038202.jpeg
We have a heavy linear pendant light to install above the dining table. I mapped out a spot directly above the table and planned on putting in a noggin in between the ceiling joists that are 400mm centres. When I’ve cut away the plasterboard there is a cross brace structure in the exact place I need to be. Could I cut this out as I would be replacing with a noggin anyway in the same place?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any chance of re-thinking your plans and moving your proposed Noggin [say] 50.mm / 60.mm left as seen in your image?

A small deviation will be hard to detect ?

Ken.

Any chance of re-thinking your plans and moving your proposed Noggin [say] 50.mm / 60.mm left as seen in your image?

A small deviation will be hard to detect ?

Ken.
For me that would be the ideal solution too but that would mean the light fitting would not hang right over the centre line of the table and there is very little room to move the furniture around. It all lines up with all mounted tv too. It’s typical that’s where I need it to be!! I’ve just had this chat with my wife but she really wants to keep the table where it is.
It’s our bedroom above and directly above this is pretty much the middle of our bed so it will never be walked on. Would a noggin not do the same job as this brace but fitted horizontally and not at 45 degrees?

Looks like herringbone nogging fine to remove just replace with solid noggin

Sponsored Links
What sort of weight is the electrical fitting?

You could use a pair of Joist hangers?

Ken.

It’s about 10kg. I did consider gripit or zip fix plasterboard fixings but I wasn’t happy with it being a ceiling. I did think about joist hangers. I’ve used them before in the garage. I did think though that the underside of the noggin needs to be flush with the ceiling joists as I didn’t want to compress the plasterboard that few mm and risk cracking it....but I could leave a little slack on the bracket and screw I suppose.

if you are concerned about the gap?

Chisel off a small sliver each end of the noggin?

Or?

Use a thin firm packer between the upper surface of the plasterboard and the under side of the noggin??

Ken.

if you are concerned about the gap?

Chisel off a small sliver each end of the noggin?

Or?

Use a thin firm packer between the upper surface of the plasterboard and the under side of the noggin??

Ken.

Good idea thanks.

Just put a solid nogging in if you're worried about weight fit some frame anchors either side of noggin

I used the mini joist hangers from Screwfix. They worked a treat. Just got to sort the cables into a junction box and we are all done. Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• B6DCB14F-0FB6-4C69-B815-BAADA062D80A.jpeg
    B6DCB14F-0FB6-4C69-B815-BAADA062D80A.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 18CF7DAE-F638-4AFE-87DB-E460669F406B.jpeg
    18CF7DAE-F638-4AFE-87DB-E460669F406B.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 264

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back