Remove brick surround and open up chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all,

Bit of advice needed? The Mrs & I have had some major alterations done to our house and are now in the process of tackling the living room and having the current gas fire in the living room altered.

Currently we have an old fashioned gas fire with a brick surround in front of the chimney breast. It looks quite dated.

We want to have that all removed and for the chimney breast to be opened up to allow us to put a gas stove inside of it.

Any idea of the cost for doing such a project (not including purchasing the stove as we know the cost for that already.

I know it can vary depending on the type of hearth and inner finish etc but wondered if anyone can provide some ideas.

We will likely be getting someone to do all of the work for this.

Many thanks

View attachment 135088 View attachment 135089

Attachments

• fireplace-1.jpg
    fireplace-1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 421
  • fireplace-2.jpg
    fireplace-2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You won't know until you knock the plaster off to see if there's a lintel in there above a larger opening.

Assuming there is a lintel in there and we need to open it up further, what do you think that would likely cost?
Are we talking few hundred or low thousands?
Sorry it's a generic question, DIY is not really my fortay, though I do try :D

Sponsored Links
Well we have a builder coming to work on this soon and he is charging us £250 per day (plus materials).
He reckons it's a 1-2 day job max, so I am happy with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back