Remove broken Washing line post from spike

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a Rotary Washing Line, and I just went to put some washing out, and the washing line fell over whilst doing it. I noticed that the base of the pole for the washing line didn't have as much of a rusty section as I recalled. This is because part of it has broken off in the spike.

The spike is concreted into the ground, and is actually plastic, rather than metal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might be able to get the rusted parts of the pole out of the spike, so that we can just get a new washing line, and use the spike, without having to re-concrete the whole thing in place.

So far, I've tried jamming a screw driver down one side, along with a generous helping of WD-40 to try and lubricate it, but I'm not able to pull it out with the pliers that I have.

I have the top inch or so of the pole away from the side of the spike, but it seems almost impossible to get any more away from the spike to reduce friction to get it out.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd dig the old concrete out, and replace it with a new socket but if you want to bash on, see if you can split what remains of the metal bits with a long cold chisel (old screwdriver) and dig the bits out.
John :)

Mole grips might be better.

If you can drill a hole in the folded metal to get a hook in, then putting upward pressure on a lever by using a car jack might have enough grunt to free it? Don't drill too big a hole too near the edge and put boards on the grass . Use bricks on one side and either a big bit of timber or a solid bit of metal.

You probably only need to get it half an inch up for it to give way
The screwdriver may have deformed the round pole to oval

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back