Remove cement off reclaimed slabs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice for cleaning mortar off back off slabs.
I've been offered some slabs that have been carefully lifted from a neighbours back yard. Slabs are in great, near new condition. They were laid but never got pointed but when they laid them they used spot bedding method and there are spots of mortar on the back of slabs.
What's the easiest way to remove these spots without breaking or chipping slabs.
They are giving me the slabs for nothing so if it takes a while to clean it off its fine.

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Nice neighbours.

You'll find it easy if you uses a club hammer and a sharp flat chisel.

Lay you chisel almost flat to the slab, and start with soft blows with the club hammer, and build up as you see fit. The larger the angle, the more chance you'll split the slab in half, so 90deg, hammering into the slab area is a no no!

I'd recommend a SDS hammer drill, as good as they are, you need to have a hands on feel as you hammer, so less sds , more hammer and chisel.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-ste...s&gclid=CPa268jwqscCFc7HtAodJiIPyg&kpid=7025C

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 318
Nice neighbours.

You'll find it easy if you uses a club hammer and a sharp flat chisel.

Lay you chisel almost flat to the slab, and start with soft blows with the club hammer, and build up as you see fit. The larger the angle, the more chance you'll split the slab in half, so 90deg, hammering into the slab area is a no no!

I'd recommend a SDS hammer drill, as good as they are, you need to have a hands on feel as you hammer, so less sds , more hammer and chisel.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-fibreglass-handle-club-hammer-4lb/7025C?kpid=7025C&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Hand Tools-_-Shopping - Hand Tools&gclid=CPa268jwqscCFc7HtAodJiIPyg&kpid=7025C

Cool, thanks, I don't mind doing a bit of work to clean them up being as they are free. There's loads of slabs and the layout is an exact match to my back garden so they will just fit a treat. They've only been down 2yrs 6 months.
Got my project for the rest of summer.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
In my experience the best thing by far is an old hatchet. It is weighty enough that you can strike with it and dont need to try hold two things at once.

How easy it comes off depends on the flags but sandstone for example will be very straight forward. As crystal says the angle of attack will affect on your chance of breaking them.

Best technique is to hold the flags vertically with one edge on the ground and strike down on them. laying the flag flat on the ground and hammering will be more likely to break them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back