Remove Chimney breast and keep the stack as semidetached house. Need advise

Looks a similar size to mine. It took two largish steels on padstones at outer ends and bolted at inner ends on a padstone on the internal spine wall. All designed by an SE and approved by building control. No movement, cracks etc on either side.
In your case I wonder if the firebreak wall was built as a joint effort between the two houses with one side built on your half of the (presumably 1 brick wide) party wall and the other on next doors, hence explaining the apparent different in depth.
I don't follow the argument that the stacks are unsupported till you get the steels in - the depth of my chimney breasts (including the party wall and next doors) is about 900mm, my steels were 150mm wide so I only needed to notch out the front of the stack a bit and only one "half" at a time. I found it a fairly easy job - steels went up a small scaffold and slid in through the roof. The mess and dust from removing the breasts themselves is truly horrendous but the space gained is worth the effort (in our case allowing us to squeeze an ensuite into the upstairs bedroom and a WC/utility into the room below).

What really surprised me was that the BCO reckoned I could have got away with gallows brackets!

Here's a photo of 1 half of mine:
IMG_20180702_115555415.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back