Remove coax socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve currently got a live unwanted coax socket on my wall that I want to remove. My question is once I remove the faceplate what do I need to do with the cable on the inside before I fill the hole? I don’t want to put I blanking plate on, I want to completely remove it.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Where does the other end of the cable go to? Best to disconnect at the far end, before you fill the hole.
Some TV coax cables carry a low voltage and a short circuit can cause problems with TV amps, magic eye systems etc.

I’ve currently got a live unwanted coax socket on my wall that I want to remove. My question is once I remove the faceplate what do I need to do with the cable on the inside before I fill the hole? I don’t want to put I blanking plate on, I want to completely remove it.
Thanks!

Live, in what way?

Just ensure the inner core, cannot touch the outer screen, put some tape on and plaster over it.

Sponsored Links
We think of the word “live” being associated with voltage. But in other use it could just mean active.

Sorry should have made of made it clear @Taylortwocities, @JohnW2, @Harry Bloomfield, there is a usable tv signal coming out of it yes.
If the signal comes from a TV distribution point (eg TV amplifier in the loft) then disconnect it there. If it comers direct from the roof aerial then there's no harm in just chopping it off - insulate the ends - and bury it. Although a bolt of lightning hittiong the roof aerial might blow a hole in your wall, but that would be to least of your problems.
Either way

We think of the word “live” being associated with voltage. But in other use it could just mean active.
Does that mean that you agree with ..
Valid question! My guess was that he meant that 'a usable TV signal comes out of it' - but that may be a totally incorrect guess! Other meanings could be more 'worrying' ;)
:?:

Kind Regards, John

Well if it normally carries current as part of it intended function then it is "Live"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back