Remove Longitudinal binder to floor garage roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice and no one I’ve asked seems to know...

I have a pitched garage roof on a new build (2017) that I want to floor for light storage. I’ve already floored half of it, but want to continue all the way across. But there is a longitudinal binder with a tie to the gable end right in the way of where I want to go. As I see it there are a couple of options:
1. Remove the binder, lay the floor and tie the wall to the newly laid floor (chipboard panels)
2. Leave the binder in place and floor up to either side of it (weakening the floor as the tongue and groove won’t lock together)

Is there a better option, or what am I best to do (or allowed to do)?

For reference, the longitudinal binder is Point C in Appendix 7.2-C on this document http://nhbccampaigns.co.uk/landingpages/techzone/previous_versions/2010/Part7/section2/appendix.htm which I’ve also attached a screenshot of (I only have 1 binder, right below the Apex)

This is a garage roof, not a house roof and the garage is a separate building to the house. It’s a twin size garage building shared with my neighbour (we both have 1 garage door and car space), with a dividing breeze block wall between mine and my neighbours sides of the garage.

EE7D8E6B-554A-40C3-ADA6-E539EB1177DF.png

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Yes, leave the restraint straps as they are important and serve a different purpose. Notch them into the trusses and fit noggings beneath them, nail or screw to the noggins, and board over the top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back