Remove metal window fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old metal window I am looking to restore. Have sanded and primed inside and the metal is in great shape but does anyone have any idea how to remove these old hinges so I can clean them up, re-paint and reinstall?

Haven't tried anything yet. Thought I would just check on here before I go to it with tools and destroy them.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Sponsored Links
They look as though they have a peened over pin. I suspect the pin may knock out but I think you will destroy them if you try to remove them. Wire brush to clean up, sand down and then prime & paint.

They look as though they have a peened over pin. I suspect the pin may knock out but I think you will destroy them if you try to remove them. Wire brush to clean up, sand down and then prime & paint.
Thank you so much. I had no idea what these were called but makes my google searching much easier. I may still remove and replace if I can't get them to the standard I want and because it will make wire brushing and sanding so much easier. I'll see if I can gently un-peen them (if that is a word) as they seem to have a hollow centre.

Sponsored Links
sanding a galvanised finish isn’t a smart (or healthy) idea.
Galvanised finished need a specific primer before paint

They are Crittall windows which are heavily galvanised so may need better paint and prepping, have a look at Bedec or Rustins paint
Yes I plan to pay much more attention to the rest of the windows. I was prepping the window surround for plastering so keen to get off the many many layers of existing paint and at least get something on to protect the part covered by plaster.

Have used Rustins a lot before but will take a look at Bedec. Many thanks

From memory you need calcium plumbate primer. Make sure that you don't damage the galvanised finish though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back