Remove old floor tiles before tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope to file my kitchen floor soon and hope to start preparation tonight. All of my ground floor rooms have an asphalt floor and the kitchen is no different - I peeled back the lino under the cupboards to check. However, when I removed the lino last night I found bare asphalt under the cupboards as expected, but there were old floor tiles in the rest of the room. The house was built in the late 50's and I guess they could be original. They are only about 2mm thick and appear to some sort of plastic with a tar/paper backing. Some around the edges lift easily but most don't. Can I leave them if they are secure or should they all come up? I am concerned that the floor tile adhesive may not stick to them correctly. I have bought cerafix powdered floor tile adhesive from B&Q.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back