Remove old skrting boards or not for new parquet floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this and have not spotted if this has been asked before. I have a 1930's house and want to lay oak parquet floor on 6 or 8mm plywood over existing floorboards - is it advisable to remove 8" skirtings to then hide the cork expansion joints and what do I do at doorways with the architrave - cut them up too? Don't particulaly want to put beading down as will look non original - probably just answered my own question but would appreciate an expert's opinion. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
cork expansion strips are supposed to go between pattern and block-border, NOT in the expansion gap around the perimeter of the whole floor!

You can remove your skirting boards, install your new floor and then place skirting boards back to the wall - covering the expansion gap of your floor. NEVER fill that expansion gap with cork!

Or, leave the skirtingboards where they are, install the floor and leave an expansion gap in front of the skirtingboard and cover the gap with beading or scotia. NEVER fill that expansion gap with cork!

I have just laid flooring in my Victorian villa. I had the same problem. There was no way that I was going to remove the ornate skirting boards, so I fitted pre-painted white wood moulding/beading to cover the expansion joint (available in most sheds). It looks like part of the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back