Remove/Replace Plastic Kitchen Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The people on this forum were extremely helpful during my bathroom re-fit woes, so I'm hoping someone can advise me again.

We've just bought a slimline dishwasher and, in order to fit it, I need to swap my sink around so that the bowl part (currently on the right hand side) sits on the left and the drainer sits on the right so that the dishwasher can slide under the drainer. I don't need to cut any new holes, just literally turn the sink around. With me so far? Good! :D

I've got to the point of removing the sink (everything's disconnected) but the blasted thing refuses to move! I've unscrewed the holding clips and I've tried cutting through the sealent, but it's just not having it. I'm concerned about cutting the sink itself as we can't afford a replacement if I damage it.

Anyone know of a simple way to remove the sink without damaging it?

Cheers,
Ex.

Sponsored Links
you will need to prise the sink out of the hole as it will be sealed along the cut edge with silicone and it is a bandit to get out, gently gently catchy monkey i'm afraid

Thanks for the reply kirkgas, but it won't move at all. If I prise it up the edge of the lip just breaks away. :(

Upon closer inspection it seems that the bloke who fitted it has put silicone around the inside edge of the hole, dropped the sink in and then put more silicone around the edge.

To cap it all off, behind the cabinate back-board I've discovered that there's a compression joint that isn't fitted correctly and has been dripping for what looks like a small ice-age. I'm assuming it was fitted by the bloke who plumbed in the washing machine. Mum (who's house it is) informs me that she had to call him back shortly after the installation to get him to fix it because, you guessed it, it was dripping!

Really, really hate this house!

Could you slide a stanley blade in underneath the sink to cut the silicon all the way round?
It is a bit risky but I cant see how else you could break that bond.

Sponsored Links
Hi londonboy,

I have looked at doing that, but the way it's fitted means I can't easily get a blade into the gap between the sink itself and the cut-edge of the worktop. It's a very tight fit!

Popped to Screwfix and bought a pot of sealent remover. Thought it was worth a punt for a couple of squids. I know it's not a miracle solution, but if it softens the sealent a bit it might make it easier to try and push the sink out frm underneath.

Why do people do things like this? Makes a simple job so much more difficult! :mad:

Yes I agree its a pain, but the silicone makes the worktop last longer because water won't seep underneath the sink rotting the chipboard.

Silly question I know!!... can the dishwasher not go underneath the drainer in its current position? How comes it has to be reversed? (Im assuming you've looked at these options!)

You assume correctly! :LOL: Basically, because of the awful plumbing in this place, if I put the dishwasher in under the drainer as it is, it sits in front of the stop-cock. Also, it wouldn't fit flush because the waste pipe justs out about 3 inches from the wall. So... there you go! :rolleyes:

I'm only irritated because of the problems I had with the bathroom. I know you're right and, if I think about it, it's probably how I'd have done it if I thought it'd be there forever. As it is it's just made a fairly simple job that much harder. I'm only glad we didn't get the company we bought it from to install it otherwise we'd be in real trouble! :eek:

I must admit, in a situation like this I'd probably suggest getting someone in.
Pass the buck to someone else, it'l be worth it just to save you from the headache. They might see an easier way that you cant see (if you get me).

Good luck anyway

just a thought, as i have sen it somewhere else, have you checked to make sure a numpty hasn't put a screw through the edge of the sink into the worktop to hold it down

londonboy: I will not be beaten! :LOL: In all seriousness I'd agree with you but for the fact that this household is currently brassic. And, to be honest with you, I woudn't trust the plumbers round here as far as I can spit. I know there are good 'uns but it's finding them. However, if I really can't sort it I'll see if I can find someone. We'll see.

kirkgas: I haven't seen any screws where they shoudn't be, but then, I've not been looking for any! Are people really that dim? Sorry, silly question! I'll have a look tomorrow though. Thanks for that.

After some fiddling I did, eventually, manage to remove the sink. Phew! Thanks for your imput. :D

Just another quick question if I may: once I'd tuned it around and plumbed everything back in, I noticed that the waste under the basin strainer is dripping a bit. It's done this before, so I was expecting it. I haven't put any sealent on it as, from past experience, I know this often makes the situation worse. I was wondering if there was a sink version of the Basin Mate? I can't seem to find one, but thought I'd ask just in case. Otherwise, what would be a good way of stopping this drip? It only seems to do it when the sink plug is in and there's a lot of water in the sink itself. For general use it's OK.

Ta!

is it tight enougth ?
use a smear of clear silicone round the rubber seal and refit the waste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back