Replace Old Kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea what would be the best way to replace the old sink with a new modern black sink?

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/regino...-15-bowl-sink-with-drainer-inset-6211-1253618

At the moment the old sink is just siliconed on at the sides and back and it looks like its just sitting on top of the kitchen units.

Could we just sit the new sink on top of the units how the old one is? Its my grandma's house and the sinks been in 30 years

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_195844.jpg
    IMG_20200130_195844.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20200130_195818.jpg
    IMG_20200130_195818.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 286
Sponsored Links
It is a sit on sink a black one is bound to be one that has to be cut into a worktop. So you'd have to get a section of worktop then cut 90% of it away for the sink to sit in .

Really depends on what is under the sink, what can you see from inside the cupboard looking up, also a chance that any wood under the sink could be rotten of course so guess you will find out when the sink is removed.

It is a sit on sink a black one is bound to be one that has to be cut into a worktop. So you'd have to get a section of worktop then cut 90% of it away for the sink to sit in .
Sometimes the sheds that have a cutting service have off cuts going cheap.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it looks like it sits on sink

Last edited:
Really depends on what is under the sink, what can you see from inside the cupboard looking up, also a chance that any wood under the sink could be rotten of course so guess you will find out when the sink is removed.
The wood looks good still underneath the sink is just sat on top of the kitchen cabinets the back seems to be siliconed onto the wall, could we not just attach a batton onto the back wall?

Other problem if we bought a new piece of worktop is that it isn't level. The cabinets that have been there 30 years are 470mm depth when the standard size is 570mm
IMG_20200131_153955.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20200131-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20200131-WA0004.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG-20200131-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20200131-WA0010.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG-20200131-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20200131-WA0016.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG-20200131-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20200131-WA0016.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 245
Are the worktops at different heights either side of the sink, it looks that way from the pics?

Yep it's a nightmare can't rip them out as standard size units are 57cm depth which would take up to much space.

Only thing I can thing of is trimming down the tops of the cupboard units so there level both sides then getting a new worktop but I'm worried as soon as I started to trim the mdf they'd fall apart

Yep it's a nightmare can't rip them out as standard size units are 57cm depth which would take up to much space.

Only thing I can thing of is trimming down the tops of the cupboard units so there level both sides then getting a new worktop but I'm worried as soon as I started to trim the mdf they'd fall apart
Currently refitting my boat kitchen and units down one side have been cut back to 510mm deep as the service void behind for pipes and cables wasn't required.
Re the top being higher on the cupboard next to the sink, I'd guess there is only 15mm ply under the sink so an off cut of worktop under the sink might level it all up.

Currently refitting my boat kitchen and units down one side have been cut back to 510mm deep as the service void behind for pipes and cables wasn't required.
Re the top being higher on the cupboard next to the sink, I'd guess there is only 15mm ply under the sink so an off cut of worktop under the sink might level it all up.

What would be best to cut the cupboards?

Multi tool? Jig saw? Circular saw?

Weve also gotta try and find the worktop which was from b&q it's at least 5 years old

You'll need to try and find a narrow sink as well. The one you linked to is 500mm wide.

Yep it's just the one that's in now is 500mm.

Its looking like the only way is to replace the worktop and cut the cupboards down then we wouldn't be limited to a 100mm wide sink

Found my 460mm wide sink in Homeserve. Not black though as they look grubby very quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back