Remove stone cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested in buying a bungalow - its exactly where I want to be and the right size. But there is a snag. Sometime in the past this otherwise conventional brick built structure has had the addition of all round stone cladding. Yuk!

I did at first consider getting it rendered over - but I wasnt sure whether that might affect the breathing of the building? Then it suddenly occurred to me that, as it is entirely "cosmetic", surely it can be removed, exposing again the original brickwork.

However, I thought it best to double check with you guys first. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi

Its not quite that simple - you may find yourself having to replace the cladding material with something less offensive to your taste bud's as removal of the offending material will most likely damage the underlying brick/blockwork.

Not only that, it may also be that the bedding material is strongly bonded to the substrate material and it becomes a nightmare to remove and all in all the job ends up costing 5 times as much as anticipated both in terms of cost and time!!

You just need to be aware of the can of worms that you may be opening up for yourself!

Regards

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments - I guess it might be an idea to test a small area first......

Otherwise, render over it? Can you see problems with that?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back