remove tar from sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used reclaimed sleepers for raised beds in my garden but there is black tar/oil seeping from them.Is there any way to remove it or dry it up

Sponsored Links
Not really. If genuine old railway sleepers it might be creosote (now banned) Might not be good for plantlife.

Crazy suggestion, cover with brown paper and go over it with an old iron. (nothing special, any old iron)

I feel a sing-song coming on...

Its creosote there is nothing you can do to get rid of it, without it they would rot. The ones I have used to hold my house up I have painted with mat black paint.

Sleepers are soaked in oil, it seeps out for years and should not be used in the garden, untreated sleepers are available for that purpose.

Sponsored Links
for what its worth, my late father used to say that sleepers were soaked in creosote for 2 weeks before they were were used.

(He used to work on the railway)

you wont remove it. thats why we only use new ones. also why there use has been banned in certain circumstances. still they are cheap!

noseall said:
they are also covered in the crud fallen from the underside of trains.

and when the toilet is flushed :LOL: (honest)
Thats why there is a notice saying do not flush while stationairy.

fancy leaving a richard on the sleeoers at a platform

Cannot be cleaned. Another contributor here has mentioned creasote. Please be aware of the potential dangers associated with this product in relation to cancer. Should is the concern that this product can not be sold to the public.

hitbit

hitbit said:
Cannot be cleaned. Another contributor here has mentioned creasote. Please be aware of the potential dangers associated with this product in relation to cancer. Should is the concern that this product can not be sold to the public.

hitbit

they can be sold to the public but therte are limits on where they can be used. shame not everyone knows about them or ignores them

Thermo, i think the other poster was refering to creosote, not the sleepers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back