Remove water marks on bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As you can see from the below photo I noticed that my bathroom wall started to accumulate moisture which built up enough to leave streak marks on the wall.
View media item 95759Is the best way to get rid of those marks to simply paint over it? Does having these marks imply the paint is not moisture and steam resistant and would painting my bathroom with such a paint provide better protection against such marks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It means you're getting condensation, which can easily mark flat paints. Improve ventilation if condensation levels are too high, but you cna definitely make life easier using a silk paint, which is easy to wipe down and won't mark.

I used Zinsser Permawhile in our bathroom.

If you don't want to repaint the whole room yet (although the Permawhite would be the best choice when you do - it doesn't have to be white), then try Zinsser coverstain once the marks have dried out, then re-emulsion the affected areas.

But, as advised above, unless you tackle the condensation problem, the streaks may well re-occur. If it's above a bath or basin, consider tiling it?

Thanks for you helpful comments, will go ahead and just repaint the whole room with a paint designed for wet environments and if the streaks still re-occur I will consider tiling the wall.

Sponsored Links
Ventilation is the key here. Fit a decent extractor or keep the window open. Make sure the ceiling above is well insulated too.

I have similar problem in the bathroom when washing my hands and reaching to the hand towel. It left droplets on the wall. I actually painted the walls not knowing any better. But finally realized it was just water stains. Got a wet cloth just wiped the walls. No more stains. Rub easy/no chemical.

Good luck....

It's poor design to have an emulsion-painted surface in a bathroom that you have to wipe down on such a regular basis. Even if you have used a wipeable/scrubbable paint, it's probably not intended to be wiped. Consider tiling the area round the basin, or keep the towel on the back of the door, or on the bath edge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back