Removed a Light Fitting Today

Yes, we quite often get people asking about connecting the CPC to the red wires because they are not connected to anything.

Sponsored Links
What are the chances this person wiring up the light used that "earth wire" to support the fitting while working on it and just left it there!

In reality, I suspect that the 256 combinations are reduced by some "common sense" (but wrong) rules in the mind of the person fitting it such as "everything must connect to something else". I.e. any combination in which the earth terminal is not connected would be ruled out as "obviously wrong". Combined with some other less-wrong rules such as "the two reds were joined together before so they should still be joined together now", and you might be down to just a handful of combinations.
Yes, that's true. Indeed, if there were previously a light fitting there which didn't have an earth connection to it (but there was a 3-way terminal block), then whoever did it 'almost got it right' - the only (but rather fundamental!) thing wrong being the connection of the fitting's 'earth' to the terminal block. Remove that and (apart from the absence of an earth to the fitting), all would probably be well with the wiring as done.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We see/hear some pretty dodgy things from time to time in this forum, but this one must be a strong contender for 'the prize'!
For second prize, maybe, but but not first.

Thought some of you might like to see this one. I ran across this "interesting" DIY job a couple of years ago.

Do you notice a distinct lack of red wires in here?

No_mcb1.jpg

Well, that's because they're all hiding down by the busbar!

No_mcb2.jpg

No_mcb3.jpg

I still find it incredible that somebody went to all that trouble to get it so wrong! :eek:

Just a quick update on this for those interested.

Electrician inspected and confirmed my original guess was correct.

There was a conduit with two singles in it (L, N) and a separate twin and earth alongside that used as the switch wire. The earth on the twin and earth had been cut back therefore the 'earth' at the switch (metal switch, now changed to plastic) was in fact connected to nothing (despite being connected to the correct terminal at the switch itself). Spark suggested that perhaps the conduit had been used as an earth in the past.

Not sure what the outcome was with the other light or the rest of the house yet.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back