Plastered and painted light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody. I would like to replace my lights, however, the previous residents have plastered and painted all over the light fittings!! Does anyone have any recommendations or tips for removing fittings which are plastered in or painted over?

I think I will have to go at it with a chisel and chip away at the plaster but any other advice will be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
A few sharp taps with a screwdriver handle or similar around the edge of the cover will often crack the layers of paint around a ceiling rose, allowing you to unscrew the cover - providing the paint is thoroughly dry.
It is usually dry, the heat from the lamp makes sure of that.

Sometimes the cover cracks instead, so turn the power off first.

A new rose isn't that expensive. You could probably get a replacement for a couple of quid

Thanks for this! It's a pendent light fitting so doesn't have a ceiling rose but I will give it a few sharp taps with the screwdriver handle. Let's see what happens...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this! It's a pendent light fitting so doesn't have a ceiling rose but I will give it a few sharp taps with the screwdriver handle. Let's see what happens...

loosen out the screws a bit first , then tap it, and wobble it at the same time. :)

If there is no rose, what exactly are you going to give a few sharp taps to?

If there's no rose, does the cable just come out of a hole in the ceiling?

If there is no rose, what exactly are you going to give a few sharp taps to?

If there's no rose, does the cable just come out of a hole in the ceiling?
To me a ceiling rose is one of those big circular things sometimes decorated with flowers and patterns. Looking on the internet it looks like a ceiling rose also refers to the attacehment that connects the light fitting wires with the cables so sorry for the confusion. So yes, I do have a ceiling rose and that is what I will give a tap to.
Thanks for the tip on the boa too!!

tap.jpg3442EB8E-6BEE-42F6-AB8645EAE7AECCA0.jpgLarge.jpg

is of no use to painted rose.

you want

cddfbc3b-72f6-4b10-a877-d5454e6e324a_4.jpg

cut the paint from the ceiling where it joins the rose

(run the blade at a slight angle around the rose where it meets the ceiling) This will cut through the paint, oh dont go too hard one slip and ...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back