Fixing a light fitting to a plaster ceiling - your thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The diameter of the rose on my new fitting is smaller than my previous fitting. If I screw the fitting bracket to a joist then there will be a large hole showing when the fitting is attached. I appear to have two choices: either fill a hole in my newly painted ceiling or screw the fitting to the plaster board. The fitting weighs 2.1 kg. The ceiling is 1990 board, artexed and then skimmed over with another 5mm of plaster to hide the artex. Any thoughts, will the ceiling support the weight without using the joist?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Firstly: You could, if ease of access from above? Install a timber brace above the fitting, instead directly fitting to plasterboard.

Secondly: I would expect wall-plug fixing to quite easily deal with 2.5kg of weight, but there other fixing such as spring toggle and hollow wall anchors that can be used.

Thirdly: Schoolboy error, having plaster completed prior to planning of new light fittings ;)

Thanks. Fitting is in same position, it just got a smaller rose. I'm kicking myself for not checking earlier!

The fitting is for a lounge ceiling and I'd rather not lift carpet and chipboard t&g boards in the bedroom above.

Well in that case, your options are
*Larger ceiling rose in same location
*Same ceiling rose in same location and patch up work to ceiling
*Same ceiling rose, new location (to hide hole) and plasterboard fixing.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, the ceiling rose is just a chrome cup that is attached to my new fitting. The loop in facility is sorted courtesy of a strip of terminal connectors :(

Sometimes you can feed a bit of wood with a bit of string tied round it into the hole, pull down on the string while fixing the bracket through the plasterboard into it, cut the string off, then hang the fitting as normal. The weight is then braced across a larger area of plasterboard

Make or buy a white circular disc that can be placed between the fitting and ceiling.

They used to make a larger-than-usual white pvc conduit lid, which was good for this kind of problem.

They also made a special one specifically for your problem, which had a hole already made in the centre. Not seem them lately, but someone will have some somewhere.

Firstly: You could, if ease of access from above? Install a timber brace above the fitting, instead directly fitting to plasterboard.

Secondly: I would expect wall-plug fixing to quite easily deal with 2.5kg of weight, but there other fixing such as spring toggle and hollow wall anchors that can be used.

Thirdly: Schoolboy error, having plaster completed prior to planning of new light fittings ;)

Toggles rather than wall plugs surely??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back