Ceiling rose can they really take that weight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ceiling rose.jpg OK yes I can see this can take 5 kg, assuming good wood screws into a beam, but most seem to have a weight limit of 5 kg when weight supported by the cord, some say static weight 10 kg.

I know my mother has a ceiling rose moved by council to fit a winch to get her in and out of bed, and when moved it was simply hanging from plaster board, even with these 20200913_095925.jpg at end of day fixing may hold but likely whole lump of plaster board would detach from beams, plaster board is only nailed on to start with.

So should ceiling roses be tested when doing an EICR to ensure they are not potentially dangerous? Clearly a light lampshade and pendent is no problem, but I have an 8 bulb chandelier which I know has a ceiling rose like shown screwed into beam, but as an inspector how would you know?

Testing a ceiling rose by hanging a weight off it would clearly test it, and even ½ kg would be enough to ensure that lamp is unlikely to fall off the ceiling, I note with county council refurbishments any tenant fitted chandelier is removed and standard ceiling rose fitted, and tenant is charged for the work, and the chandelier removed goes into the skip.

Should this also be done with an EICR? My son was on a council estate refurbishment and there were some really nice chandeliers in the skip, most gone by morning. Not surprised I paid over £100 for mine, but the house is mine, so no one going to remove it but me, and easy to remove simply slides out.

So same as fire protection I suppose, does the weight a ceiling rose will carry matter when doing an EICR, I have watched videos of electricians removing MR16 lamps to check on connectors used, this Unsatifactory downlight.jpg is shown as unsatisfactory, so does the electrician have to test a standard ceiling rose to show it will stand the weight it is rated at?

Sponsored Links
559.6.1.5 Fixing of the luminaire
Adequate means to fix the luminaire shall be provided.
The fixing means may be mechanical accessories (e.g. hooks or screws), boxes or enclosures which are able to support luminaires or supporting devices for connecting a luminaire.
In places where the fixing means is intended to support a pendant luminaire. the fining means shall be capable of carrying a mass of not less than 5 kg. If the mass of the luminaire is greater than 5 kg, the installer shall ensure that the fixing means is capable of supporting the mass of the pendant luminaire.
The installation of the fixing means shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
The weight of luminaires and their eventual accessories shall be compatible with the mechanical capability of the ceiling or suspended ceiling or supporting structure where installed.
Any cable or cord between the fixing means and the luminaire shall be installed so that any expected stresses in the conductors, terminals and terminations will not impair the safety of the installation.

So must be able to support 5 kg. How many can is the question.

Thanks. I guess the question is "Are you allowed to do destructive testing for an EICR?".

Sponsored Links
I personally think 5 kg is going OTT anyway, but if the light will take 5 kg then one can measure weight of existing and then hang on it the extra weight so unless the fixture is not able to take the weight then it would not be destructive testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back