Removing a ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian house with one of the original ceiling roses in the dining room. I would like to make a cast of this dining room rose so I can replace the missing ceiling roses in the living room and master bedroom.

I would really appreciate some tips on:

1) Carefully removing a ceiling rose so as not to damage it. My first thought was to cut an area of 6 inches around the ceiling rose with a hand saw or an angle grinder and lowering the rose, plaster and laths down onto a sheet or board. The reason I haven't done this and am asking for advice is that I know that my idea is sounding like Rodney and Del Boy taking down the chandelier in "Only Fools and Horses".

2) How to make a cast of the rose once I have managed to get it down!

If you can hold back your giggles and let me know your thoughts, I'd be eternally grateful!

Many thanks

MT

Sponsored Links
get some "clay" cover it with this and gently remove it, you now have a mold. fill mold with plaster and wait for it to set. job done.

best place to get "clay" i would say is a craft shop, they may suggest something better

I would certainly try to make the mould in situ. The material you need is some kind of liquid rubber which I've read about but never used. You'll need a wide, shallow dish that you can push up against the rose and some means of holding it up there while the stuff sets. Sorry I haven't got more details. It might be worth asking in the painting and decorating forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back