Removed cracked screed to discover shingle - how best to repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am preparing some flooring for tiling. This has involved removing the existing parquet floor covering. In one area the screed was badly cracked and a chunk of screed lifted out. This is in an area where the central heating pipes run.

How is it best to repair this (depth about 70mm), should I remove all the shingle and use some repair mortar or is it sufficient to put the repair mortar on top of the loose shingle to a more shallow depth. I was expecting to find a solid floor slab but the shingle seems to keep going.

Have attached a photo. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20200823_124127.jpg
    20200823_124127.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 238
Sponsored Links
Are the pipes wrapped in anything? The concrete/screed may eat away at the copper...?

Hi SpecialK - the pipes aren't wrapped in anything, they just seem to be lying loose in the shingle. I could put some shingle back on top then mortar ontop or I could try and cover the exposed areas of the pipe, but I am probably not going to be able to get 100% protection. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You can cover the pipes with something like denso tape. If they are in gravel then they are not touching the concrete although I would be concerned about the rest of the run before putting down tiles...How old is the house? Thankfully older copper pipes are much thicker...

Hi SpecialK - the pipes aren't wrapped in anything, they just seem to be lying loose in the shingle. I could put some shingle back on top then mortar ontop or I could try and cover the exposed areas of the pipe, but I am probably not going to be able to get 100% protection. Any suggestions?

The house is late 60's - I expect these pipes have been been under the screed uncovered since built. Therefore I think as long as I don't do anything to agitate the pipes - if they have been ok this far they should be ok for future years. I don't really have any other options for the rest of the run - it goes under walls and out in three directions from this point!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back