Removed Screw, Mixer Tap Head Still Stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to take apart this tap to fix it. (The details of the issue aren't important, but I've noticed them below.)

(Does anyone recognise the make? I didn't keep my original notes, and knowing the make & model would help.)

I've been using this YouTube video about taking taps apart. I have removed the cover for the screw hole, and found the right alum key to remove the screw. It certainly fellt like I managed to remove the screw, and I think it looks like it too:

According to the advice in the YT video, the top should simply lift off. Instead, it is as fixed to the rest of the tap as it was before; and I can't see anything else to unscrew.

Do you know? Is this a different model with an idiosyncratic way of taking it apart? Or is it just calcified shut with the hard water?

(Why: My mixer tap has slowly progressed from sometimes leaking to letting all the water through. Before, you could close it by turning the handle in a square: from cold off to cold on to hot on to hot off et cetera. I assume some small part, whether a mechanism or a washer, needs fixing.)

Sponsored Links
Footprints is right. Provided you have removed the grub screw it will pull off with the right amount of force.

You will need to replace the internal cartridge, which will be made of plastic / nylon.

Thanks footprints - you were right. The collar needed a descale soak too. And you're right too, OldBuffer - the cartridge is crumbling as I try to pull it out!

Sponsored Links
Even with descaler, the off-white centre component of the cartridge stays firm (the one with the three holes) whilst the green plastic crumbles around it. Is it time for brute force (perhaps assisted by WD40) or is there a simpler method?
DSCN4017.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4023.JPG
    DSCN4023.JPG
    770.3 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCN4022.JPG
    DSCN4022.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 319
So out and reassembled, it seems to be a KCG 40mm cartridge. (It says "KCG" and "(7)" on it), matching this 40mm KCG cartridge from MGM. Except that the cartridge is 64mm high, and mine is 78mm high, and I haven't been able to find a 78mm version. Where should I be looking? Is there a technical term I should be searching for other than height? Have I put it together the wrong way?

And given KCG let me down in the first place, what's a good make?
DSCN4025.JPG
DSCN4024.JPG

That mixer is bloody ugly anyway!

Bristan
Hansgrohe
Vado
Crosswater
Ideal standard

Any brand that has some history!

Seen them taps before,there obsolete now and were made by fugly1 ltd.

:idea: Search 'hart sanitary 76'

they are usually compatible with fugly1's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back