Removed wallpaper from ceiling. Now what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We removed the wallpaper from the living room ceiling of our 50s house and it now looks like this:

SAM_2784_zps13c9a013.jpg

SAM_2785_zpsedcbf444.jpg

There's a layer of yellow on top of the plaster and on top of this is something white. I don't know what they are, but they're a pain to scrape off.

Any advice on how to proceed before painting? We plan to do some major renovations in the future which might include changing the lighting and replastering the ceiling, so it doesn't need to look perfect.

Sponsored Links
I tried wetting the ceiling to see if its old wallpaper paste. There is some paste left over but it is on top of the white and yellow layers. Those layers are unaffected by the water.

I'm wondering whether the easiest solution would be to put lining paper up?

I could be wrong but so long as all the paper is gone and there is no lumpy bits or damage then a PVA coat and skimming should do the trick ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back